You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about where to get frequencies

enrico lazzaroni

enrico lazzaroni
Posted
Posted

I am a new Vatsim member, and today I parked my airplane in three different airports just to see and hear what it is like. My question is: where do you get the frequencies for the atc people, from control tower, to ground, to clearance delivery, etc?

I was at Heathrow, first, and I tried one frequency that I got from the real airport, 118.5, and i worked. But then I tried the same thing at Frankfurt and Paris, but I could not get any sound. So, after you connect to Vatsim, choose an airport, and park, where do you get the frequencies to talk to a controller?

Enrico

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

see your ATC list after you log in. click "ATC" on FSINN, itll bring up the list of online controllers. it will only show controllers in range of you, not beyond that.

given that the real world may have a dozen or more frequencies for one position, the frequencies on VATSIM wont always match up as there is usually just 1 controller handling the same airspace that would be handled by several controllers in the real world.

make sure you go over the PRC aswell

http://www.vatsim.net/prc

itll fill you in on how things work online and some of the many differences

enrico lazzaroni
Posted
Posted

Many thanks, I'll go over the PRC as you suggest,

Enrico

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Many thanks, I'll go over the PRC as you suggest,

Enrico

You might also take a look at the VATSIM Quickstart Guide. It has links to the prc given to you by Ernesto, plus directly answer your immediate question. I'll most answers most questions a new user will have.

VATSIM Quick Start Guide:

www.vatsim.net/pilots/quickstart

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

enrico lazzaroni
Posted
Posted

Today I did not have the time to go through the material, but I noticed one thing: I am right now parked in klax, but I only see ATC from the chicago-indianapolis area. Do they handle all of the US, or else? maybe a program like vat-spy would help? Like I said, I have not had the time to go through the material suggested, so maybe the answers are right there. It's just that I thought I would see many more ATC frequencies, depending on what airport I was parked at, when I connected into Vatsim.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

all covered in the PRC.

they dont control the entire US. VATSPY and any of the other online displays will show you what airspace they cover.

you will only see the frequencies when they are online. when there is no ATC, all aircraft are on 122.80 which is non controlled and is for pilot to pilot reports only, not personal chat.

you will see more controllers during different times of the day. all areas have their "peak" hours. remember controllers dont get paid to come online, they have real lives to tend to before coming online so there will be times when you wont see any controllers for a few hours.

in the US, things tend to pick up after 0000 Zulu on the east coast, then youll start seeing others come up as time p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, remember theres a time difference from the folks in the east coast and west coast

enrico lazzaroni
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ernesto, it seems like I have a lot to learn about Vatsim, I thought about the time zones differences and all that, I'll have to go read my material referenced by you and Larry James, I think...

Enrico

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Today I did not have the time to go through the material, but I noticed one thing: I am right now parked in klax, but I only see ATC from the chicago-indianapolis area. Do they handle all of the US, or else? maybe a program like vat-spy would help? Like I said, I have not had the time to go through the material suggested, so maybe the answers are right there. It's just that I thought I would see many more ATC frequencies, depending on what airport I was parked at, when I connected into Vatsim.

You are likely to see more controllers in depending on where you part. There are a lot of factors including the fact that most controllers have day jobs.

The page I gave you is four quick steps. If you would test it I'm sure you'd be surprised at the big understanding curb you'd gain.

Again, the immediate specific answer to your question, yes. You're more likely to see more controllers at a major popular airport than one in a rural area. If you took the time to look at and test the VATSIM quick start guide it'd probably answer questions that would take you a very long time to be able to think up specific questions for, but is very important for your understanding of the network.

It's quite condensed (only four quick steps).

Also, unless you become familiar with the VATSpy program (or one of the other suggested tools) the chances of your plugging into a populated airport will be pretty low.

Edit: I see a couple of messages appeared while I was typing. You're on the right tack to read some of the suggested material... especially the VATSIM Quick Start Guide.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

enrico lazzaroni
Posted
Posted

Larry thanks for all the info you are providing, I really appreciate it; I am really starting to like this Vatsim...

Enrico

PS. I'll be back if there are some unanswered questions after reading all the material.