You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Client

Jerry Armstrong 899289

Jerry Armstrong 899289
Posted
Posted

Been away for a long time and trying to get up to speed with VatSim activities. Wondering if there is a preferred voice client (e.g., Teamspeak, Roger Wilco, etc) being used by VatSim members? Also is there a VatSim server and port and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word available for log on?

Thanks,

Jerry

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Voice clients are now built into the connecting clients, IE, FSInn, SquawkBox, VRC, EuroScope, etc.

Jerry Armstrong 899289
Posted
Posted

Roger that, Daniel, but what I'm asking is...is there a preferred server address, port and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word used by VatSim members when flying on-line? For example, I'm a member of a military flying organization, a VA organization, and a general aviation flying club all of which use differenct voice clients and each flying organization has it's own server, port and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for membership to connect and engage in pilot-to-pilot communication. Thought perhaps Vatsim members may have something similar.

Jerry

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nope. you are automatically connected to the active voice rooms when there is ATC.

on unicom, if you are using FSINN, itll connect to whatever voice rooms it are available for that area. however FSINN is the only one capable of doing this on its own, for that reason and because we have people with disabilities on the network, unicom is primarily text, you can use voice as secondary, but remember only those using FSINN and who can actually hear you will receive it.

there is no VATSIM wide teamspeak room for private chatting. however many ARTCC's / FIR's have their own which you can use to talk with them. none provide a room for pilots only. only ones that do this are the VA's for their pilots, some even allow visitors. i'd imagine the bill at the end of the month for a vatsim wide teamspeak server would be pretty big considering how many members would use it

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
i'd imagine the bill at the end of the month for a vatsim wide teamspeak server would be pretty big considering how many members would use it

Depends. Our TS2 server has consumed 3.7 gigs of bandwidth in the last 12 months - admittedly it is a little bit limited in its access. For comparison, DNS services have consumed over twice as much in the same time period.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Roger that, Daniel, but what I'm asking is...is there a preferred server address, port and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word used by VatSim members when flying on-line? For example, I'm a member of a military flying organization, a VA organization, and a general aviation flying club all of which use differenct voice clients and each flying organization has it's own server, port and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for membership to connect and engage in pilot-to-pilot communication. Thought perhaps Vatsim members may have something similar.

Jerry

Nope. To talk to ATC or utilize UNICOM, all you have to do is connect to the network through the pilot client. It will automatically connect you to the appropriate voice server and channel when you change frequencies and there is ATC in range on that frequency.

Jerry Armstrong 899289
Posted
Posted
nope. you are automatically connected to the active voice rooms when there is ATC.

on unicom, if you are using FSINN, itll connect to whatever voice rooms it are available for that area. however FSINN is the only one capable of doing this on its own, for that reason and because we have people with disabilities on the network, unicom is primarily text, you can use voice as secondary, but remember only those using FSINN and who can actually hear you will receive it.

there is no VATSIM wide teamspeak room for private chatting. however many ARTCC's / FIR's have their own which you can use to talk with them. none provide a room for pilots only. only ones that do this are the VA's for their pilots, some even allow visitors. i'd imagine the bill at the end of the month for a vatsim wide teamspeak server would be pretty big considering how many members would use it

Hey, Ernesto

Thanks for the response and this answers my question.

Cheers!

Jerry

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
none provide a room for pilots only. only ones that do this are the VA's for their pilots, some even allow visitors. i'd imagine the bill at the end of the month for a vatsim wide teamspeak server would be pretty big considering how many members would use it

I dunno about none—the VATCAN TS3 server is open to everybody, pilots and controllers alike—but we do ask that you use it for purposes related to flying in Canada on VATSIM.

It's certainly not the busiest server around, and I can't speak as to the size of the bill, but it is regularly used by pilots just hanging out in the lobby chatting to each other. The lobby isn't a pilot-specific room per se, but does allow this.

8942.png

Jerry Armstrong 899289
Posted
Posted
none provide a room for pilots only. only ones that do this are the VA's for their pilots, some even allow visitors. i'd imagine the bill at the end of the month for a vatsim wide teamspeak server would be pretty big considering how many members would use it

I dunno about none—the VATCAN TS3 server is open to everybody, pilots and controllers alike—but we do ask that you use it for purposes related to flying in Canada on VATSIM.

It's certainly not the busiest server around, and I can't speak as to the size of the bill, but it is regularly used by pilots just hanging out in the lobby chatting to each other. The lobby isn't a pilot-specific room per se, but does allow this.

Where can I get the log-in information (server address, port, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word) for the VATCAN TS3?

Thanks,

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
Where can I get the log-in information (server address, port, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word) for the VATCAN TS3?

ts.vatcan.org:4130

Play nice.

8942.png