You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim S1 Test

John Hanania 1078013

John Hanania 1078013
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing well. Just recently I completed the ZNY S1 DEL/GND test and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed it. I signed up with the New York ARTCC and was [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to PHL. What the problem is that I recieved an email this morning and it was from my instructor. It was yet another S1 DEL/GND test that was a controlling exam that will allow me to control at non-major airports. Sadly, I did not p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] that test and got a score of 72 % . (This test was taken today.) Shortly after that i recieved an email saying that i can retake the test in a short period of time. So my question is how long is this short period of time, and when will i be able to retake the test.

Thanks,

John

P.S. Also as i mentioned above the test that is the ZNY S1 DEL/GND, since i p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed that one will i be able to control anywhere? Thanks

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i recommend you post in the ZNY ARTCC forum as your instructors and mentors will be able to respond to you directly.

are you sure you took the S1 test first? the first test after you join to do ATC is not an S1 test, its a BASIC test which is just to test your knowledge, it does not go towards any rating.

i dont see why you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the S1 test and are now being [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned the S1 test again unless you mistook the first test for the S1.

your instructor will be able to answer the question of where you can control

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

John,

I looked you up and the first test you took is the Basic Controller Test. It has nothing to do with ratings, it's just the exam to begin training as ATC in VATUSA. Every controller in VATUSA takes that exam unless they transfer from another division.

• Like 1

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

Just a quick update for anyone who may have wondered, he did indeed past the Basic VATUSA exam but did not p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the S1 exam. He misunderstood the email he received explaining that the exam would be re[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned and he would have to take it again. He has been contacted by a local INS and has received the information he needs to continue his training.

Thanks to those who replied and sent him back to the ARTCC for follow up.

Ira R..

Ira Robinson

John Hanania 1078013
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all who responded. By the way, I am not sure if i have been contacted by a local INS. I have not recived any messages from any instructors on VATUSA,VATSIM, or the NYARTCC pages. Thanks anyway

Thanks,

John

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

check spam filters, if anything, post in the ZNY forum. theyll get to you.

got a question tho, if you havent even gone through training, why are you being [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned the S1 test?

John Hanania 1078013
Posted
Posted

I am going thru training and have p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the basic. Then i went and joined ZNY and they [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned me to PHL. At ZNY they gave me the ZNY S1 (DEL/GND) Test. I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed that will a score of 43/45. The next day I recieved a e-mail message from my instructor that was [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned at the VATUSA Exam Center. It was titled: VATUSA S1 (DEL/GND) Controller Exam.

But this time a failed with a score of 72% out of 80%. They told me i could try again in a short period of time, but they didn't specify how long that period is.

Thanks for any replies,

John

P.S. I already posted in the ZNY fourms and they told me to look at the training cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es which i have already done.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

ah k. your message made it sound like you havent gone through any training. thought that was a bit odd

first test was a basic SOP test tho. looks like maybe an error in the script or something might have titled it incorrectly or something.

you were going through training before you took the basic test tho?

trying to wrap my head around that time line there something dont sound right

John Hanania 1078013
Posted
Posted

Actually what happened was that when i signed up with VATUSA they told me i can take the Basic whenever i'd like. I used the training center, studied a bit, and then i took the basic. I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the basic and then they told me i should now sign up with an ARTCC. I signed up with NYARTCC and was [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to PHL. At New York i was now an observer and i had to take the ZNY S1 (DEL/GND) test, (which by the way didnt specify if i could control anywhere) and i p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed that test. 24 hours later i recived an email from my instructor saying that i am qualified to take the VATUSA s1 (DEL/GND) test. I wasn't sure that there was a differnce between the ZNY S1 test or the VATUSA S1 test. Anyway, they said i had to take it in 7 days. I studied at the VATUSA training center, went and took the test but sadly failed. So now i am going in training cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es so that i can p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test next time.

Thanks,

John

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

John,

I looked you up and you had only two tests [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned. The VATUSA Basic which all ATC has to take prior to being [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned an ARTCC, then the VATUSA S1 test. No other tests were [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to you. This matter is one that we can't really help you here with though, it's best to contact your instructor or an instructor at ZNY direct to get sorted out.

Pan Lalas
Posted
Posted
i had to take the ZNY S1 (DEL/GND) test, (which by the way didnt specify if i could control anywhere) and i p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed that test. 24 hours later i recived an email from my instructor saying that i am qualified to take the VATUSA s1 (DEL/GND) test. I wasn't sure that there was a differnce between the ZNY S1 test or the VATUSA S1 test.

1) http://www.nyartcc.org/training/s1

2) http://www.nyartcc.org/SOP/NYARTCC_Facility_Orientation_Guide.pdf

3) http://www.nyartcc.org/SOP/ZNY_Training_SOP.pdf

If you read _any_ of those (yes we do provide the same information in three different locations hoping that someone will read at least one) you'll understand what the VATUSA S1 test is, what the ZNY S1 checkout is and what airports you can control after you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] them both.

Right now you've p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the ZNY S1 checkout and you have to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the VATUSA S1 test. When you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the latter you'll be able to control any minor airport up to the level of GND and you'll also be able to start your major training in PHL.

Regards