You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Internet over powerline

Henrique Barbosa 1176544

Henrique Barbosa 1176544
Posted
Posted

Hello

do you know if it is possible to talk to ATC over a nertwork powerline? I have my cockpit in the basement and the only way to get Internet is using the powerlines.

Thank you

Regards

Henrique

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you can get on the internet, i would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume so.

soon we'll be able to connect to the internet via TV waves via Whitespace

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

As our prez said, Yes we can!! I used it for a while before my power plugs died and gave up, I so miss them. Now I got cables running allover the house . I didn't notice much, if any, difference between regular wire and the LAN-over-POWERLINEs

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Henrique,

The software doesn't know or care what kind of networking you're using to get to the internet. All that matters is bandwidth and latency.

If you have enough of the former and not too much of the latter, you'll have a solid experience.

Keith

Henrique Barbosa 1176544
Posted
Posted
Henrique,

The software doesn't know or care what kind of networking you're using to get to the internet. All that matters is bandwidth and latency.

If you have enough of the former and not too much of the latter, you'll have a solid experience.

Keith

Thank you all. I made the question because I tried to communicate on Windows Live with friends and we had problems listening to what each one talk. I will give it a try. Bandwith I have enough. How can I reduce latency?

Regards

Henrique

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

latency is typically not an issue for wireless or powerline applications. It's more of a problem with satellite or dial-up. There's not much you can do to change your latency.

My impression is that powerline confiugrations vary greatly in quality from house to house, depending on wiring. Is wireless not an option for you?

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
latency is typically not an issue for wireless or powerline applications.

Yeah, packet loss is the killer there, and can be a big issue for VoIP.

8942.png

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
latency is typically not an issue for wireless or powerline applications. It's more of a problem with satellite or dial-up. There's not much you can do to change your latency.

My impression is that powerline confiugrations vary greatly in quality from house to house, depending on wiring. Is wireless not an option for you?

I run FSInn on a "remote" laptop over WiFi (G-standard) and that is no problem whatsoever, the ethernet implementation via your electrical wireing shouldn't be the problem if it's slow, but again, if it's a very old house it can be a problem. When I renovated my apartment I hid the cables behind whatever I could and have them going to all computers, the best option is a fresh Cat5e/Cat6 cable, no doubt.

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted
latency is typically not an issue for wireless or powerline applications.

Yeah, packet loss is the killer there, and can be a big issue for VoIP.

You are 100% on the money there. I had forgotten what it was that was not working well with my powerline tests, but you nailed it. It was relatively low latency when it worked, but I FREQUENTLY had packet loss that effectively hosed the average latency.

• 5 weeks later...
Derald Solomon 922131
Posted
Posted

I used an internet connection through a powerline from my basement to my router three floors up. I had no issues at all. As far as your computer is concerned, if the internet connection works, whatever software you are using would work. I think the only issue would be latency but I personally had no problems. One thing, don't plug your internet powerline connection through a power strip. It prolly won't work if you do that. Plug it directly to a wall socket.