You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Air Law

Danny Sevigny

Danny Sevigny
Posted
Posted

Are landing lights required, or are they as required (according to conditions/ pilot preference) in Canada?

What are the VFR minimums. Anyway I can keep from getting stuck at one airport for a week again? (I was stuck because of weather.)

3.png

Fly High Far and Free.

Dan Maclam 916329
Posted
Posted

Landing lights are not required unless you are carrying p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers at night in canada. As for vfr minimums:

Within Control Zones:

* flight and ground visibility not less than 3 miles

* distance from clouds 500 feet vertically, 1 mile horizontally

* height above surface 500 feet

* In addition to the above, the cloud ceiling must not be less than 1000 feet in a Control Zone

Within Control Areas:

* flight visibility 3 miles

* distance from clouds 500 feet vertically, 1 mile horizontally

Uncontrolled Airspace

* at or above 1000 feet surface visibility not less than 2 miles

* distance from clouds 500 feet vertically, 2000 feet horizontally

* below 1000 feet to above the surface, visibility not less than 1 mile and clear of clouds

[EDIT:This is from memory, i am 95% sure this is correct for the vrf minimums,check the AIP or TC AIM(its new name)]

Daniel Maclam

Danny Sevigny
Posted
Posted

How does flight following work? What does the ATC actually do for the pilot?

3.png

Fly High Far and Free.

• 6 months later...
Randy Blackwell 925656
Posted
Posted
How does flight following work? What does the ATC actually do for the pilot?

Basically, when a VFR pilot requests flight following, they will become watched my ATC. ATC ensures that no traffic conflicts will occur (IE: giving traffic advisories). They will also give you some info throughout your flight (altimeter settings...). You'll be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a unique squawk code so that you show up on the ATC's radar. A pilot can cancel flight following at anytime. That's the basics of it anyway.

Toronto FIR - Senior Student

Real World Pilot

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
ATC ensures that no traffic conflicts will occur (IE: giving traffic advisories).

That sounds a bit misleading to me ... it's still the VFR pilot's responsibility to see-and-avoid traffic. ATC just gives you traffic pointouts. You still have to maintain VFR conditions and visual separation with all other traffic.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Randy Blackwell 925656
Posted
Posted

That sounds a bit misleading to me ... it's still the VFR pilot's responsibility to see-and-avoid traffic. ATC just gives you traffic pointouts. You still have to maintain VFR conditions and visual separation with all other traffic.

Sorry, bad choice of words.

That is one thing I've learned though - the Pilot is always responsible for anything that can go wrong.

Toronto FIR - Senior Student

Real World Pilot

• 7 months later...
Tony Kovacs 958372
Posted
Posted

There seems to be some confusion over Air Laws concerning VFR aircraft.

In Canada the VFR rules are as follows:

Seperation from clouds and aircraft is 1000Ft Vertical and 5 Miles Horizontal.

In order to legally operate a VFR flight the visibility must be a minimum of 10 miles and the ceiling may be no lower then 3000Ft Above Ground Level.

Yes. ATC is not responsible for traffic seperation for VFR aircraft but if they have an opportunity to then they should inform pilots of other traffic.

As far as lights go, if you are operating any aircraft you are required to use landing lights at all times during takeoff and landing. If an aircraft is not equiped with landing lights then it may not be flown in controlled airspace but it can be flown in Restricted airspace given it has permission to ofcourse.

I hold a Canadian CPL and I am 100% sure about these rules.

If you have any more questions about Air Laws, don't hesitate to ask.

Tony Kovacs

MOVCON - Movement Control Instructor

http://www.vatcaf.org

"Who Cares Who's the Best!"

Until heaven is open 24/7 just waiting for you to screw up this is all just a game.