You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Emergencies

Danny Sevigny

Danny Sevigny
Posted
Posted

Although I'm sure this has been discussed time and time again, I have a couple of questions about emergencies and other events that require special attention on Vatsim.

Suppose I am working with a fellow VA pilot and we are training handling of emergency procedures in a twin engine aircraft. If we wished to do some simulated emergencies, how would we go about getting clearance?

Example 1: Engine trouble - twin engine aircraft, with one engine out.

Example 2: Forced landings

Example 3: Instrument errors

Example 4: Electrical Failures

The other area that this could be noted is for aerobatics.

My home field is CNC3 and there are specific training areas located to the northwest, north and north east of the airport. They take approximately 15 minutes to fly to in a cessna 172. All abnormal flight attitudes for practice purposes are performed in these areas. At my flight college (CYAM) we have 5 training areas that are located at different points surrounding the outlying areas of the city. The same rules for abnormal flight situations applys.

On Vatsim would it be correct to notify the controller that airwork will be occuring in a specific area? The area must of course not be located on any approach/departure tracks, or any heavy traffic areas. In the case of aerobatics, this box would be located at an agreed location, once again out of the way of traffic.

This is my read of the flight:

FLIGHTPLAN

Callsign

Aircraft type

Departure Field

Arrival Field

Alternate

Fuel on Board

ETE

Route - ROUTE TO SAFETY AREA - AIRWORK - ROUTE TO DEST

COMMUNICATIONS

"Toronto Center, C-DSEV is at CNC3 VFR clearance for stalls practice at caledon practice area, 30 minutes in area"

"C-DSEV, Toronto Center, clearance for airwork is [approved/unable] at this time."

"Toronto Center, C-DSEV cleared for airwork at caledon practice area"

Sound about right?

What emergencies are we allowed to simulate?

Thanks for all the help.

C-DSEV

Danny Sevigny 879664

3.png

Fly High Far and Free.

Victor Sussman 911965
Posted
Posted

Hey there,

Well, as far as I know, simulating emergencies is permitted on the network; however, there are a few ground rules that need to be kept in mind; doing so will ensure an exciting and positivve experience for all parties! :

1) Simulate an emergency with good judgement.

Declaring an emergency in the middle of a major fly-in probably won't be looked upon favorably by controllers or other pilots. Similarly, declaring an emergency in order to receive priority handling probably won't make you a hit. (Lol, I'm not suggesting you'd do such a thing, just making a comment.)

2) Controllers can always decline an emergency.

Just like a pilot might say, 'unable' if they are asked to do something they don't have experience with, a controller can decline to accept an emergency. The reasons could vary anywhere from high traffic volume (making emergency handling difficult), to controller proficiency (remember -- controllers are learning too, and a new guy might not be quite ready to handle every single thing thrown at him or her the first night manning a new position. ) If you are asked to discontinue an emergency, you have to continue your flight normally. If you cannot do so for some reason, simply say something to the effect, "Sorry, I'm unable to discontinue the emergency, I'll continue the flight offline," and disconnect -- no one will hold it against you!

3) Emergencies relating to illegal activity on board the aircraft are prohibited.

This goes along with squawking 7500 etc. and will run you into trouble. Not such a terrible thing, really, after all, we do strive to simulate realism, but why not let our virtual world be a sanctuary free from some of the uglier aspects of reality?

4) Be ready to handle the emergency you decide to simulate.

Other than that, I think the emergencies you described are certainly within the parameters of what is acceptable on VATSIM.

I'll admit, I'm not a controller, so one area I've always been a bit cloudy on is the issue of asking permission for an emergency. On the one hand, it provides the controller with an opportunity to decline ahead of time, but it also elimninates a certain element of spontanaeity (though of course, if a pilot elects to simulate an emergency, they know it's coming!) Many people use programs like FSP[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers and others that randomly insert failures into things making it a surprise to pilot and controller alike.

It would seem to me that it wouldn't be a big deal to declare an emergency without a prior .msg, especially since the controller can always say, "No thanks!" but perhaps some of the controllers would like to voice their opinions on the matter.

For further reading on the subject of emergencies, you might want to pay a visit to the Pilot Resource Centre

As for the aerobatics question -- I have to admit, that's a neat question, , albeit one that I have no idea how to answer -- hopefully someone will chime in here, though.

Incidentally, if you're planning on doing a lot of flying in CZYZ's airspace, you might consider posting some of your questions at the forums at the CZYZ site. They're a friendly, knowledgeable, and professional bunch, as I think you will find to be universally true regardless of where you fly within VATCAN's airspace!

Hope that helps -- look forward to seeing you in the VATCAN skies!

Regards,

Victor

Victor Sussman, VAC061

Virtual Air Canada

http://www.vacanada.org

Vancouver Crew Base

'Splendor Sine Occasu'

Victor Sussman, CDN115

Canadi>n Airlines Virtual

Toronto Hub

http://www.flycav.com

'There's a Goose on the loose!'

VATCAN P1

Greg Phelan 810114
Posted
Posted

The stall testing isn't really an emergency - if you are within a practice area (CYA), I really don't give a you know what, what you are doing within it. If within an area agreed upon - then best to just get yourself a nice chunk of vertical airspace - and remain within it.

For the four specific examples you listed - you would get whatever normal clearance you would get, up to the point that you will be unable to comply with ATC clearances. For example, if you wanted to practice failing your VOR/DME; then file as not having a VOR/DME - you don't need to declare an emergency or whatnot for that. If you want to practice engine failures on takeoff - that's something that would need to be coordinated with the controller, because you're going to essentially shut that airport down for a while to other traffic. ATC may or may not like that very much.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Best,

Greg Phelan

Director - Flight Training

VATSIM

• 3 weeks later...
Richard Dwyer 945956
Posted
Posted

Vic,

You and those aviation books really get around. Thanks 4 the info. thinkin go using it as well a little later, tho'

again thks. LOL )))))

"Flight is Life" quotes the CRASH

3849.png

• 1 month later...
Brandon Van Brunt 939678
Posted
Posted

When im controlling and someone announces an emergancy i will usually accept it. Just like Victor said though, if the controller sounds really busy don't practise an emergancy. REMEMBER most controllers aren't real world controllers so we aren't trained to handle 30 aircraft in a small area at once. We also dont always have fellow controllers to take the load off if we need it, so basically what im saying is just use good judgement.

Cheers

Brandon Van Brunt

VATCAN Director of Human Resources

CZVR Instructor

4608.jpg

• 4 months later...
Maius Wong
Posted
Posted

Just no Terrorist attacks

Maius Wong
Webmaster
Minneapolis ARTCC
Developer simaware.ca / map.vatsim.net

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

You seriously think its valid to post that after the topic has been dead for 5 months?