You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Installation of FSX on a new OS-install or new PC

John Sjostrom 1178954

John Sjostrom 1178954
Posted
Posted

Hi!

I am quite new to FSX and I realized as I installed the software that it needed to be activated after installation. Well that was no problem. But now I am planning formatting of my C-drive and a make clean Windows installation. My guess is that I will need to re-activate my FSX after that. Will that be a problem? I have tried to find a phone number or online support at Microsoft, but living in Finland makes it close to hopeless. I am also considering bying a new PC and that will likely cause the same problem. I'd be quite dissapointed if I need to buy another copy of the software after a re-install.

Anyone that can help me out with these question?

Thanks,

John

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi John, you are right about the re-activation. The phone number is usually listed on the activation page itself. Mostly you won't be dealing with a customer service agent, it will be an automated message, but a painful 48 character typing and read back of the activation code. IIRC, it will list a 800 number as well as give you options to find local ones, but I haven't touched my FSX in a while, but done countless reinstalls before and called them atleast 8 or 9 times

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi!

I am quite new to FSX and I realized as I installed the software that it needed to be activated after installation. Well that was no problem. But now I am planning formatting of my C-drive and a make clean Windows installation. My guess is that I will need to re-activate my FSX after that. Will that be a problem? I have tried to find a phone number or online support at Microsoft, but living in Finland makes it close to hopeless. I am also considering bying a new PC and that will likely cause the same problem. I'd be quite dissapointed if I need to buy another copy of the software after a re-install.

Anyone that can help me out with these question?

Thanks,

John

I have reformatted numerous times. Some of the times the hardware has been different. I have never had to call yet. I believe as long as the process recognizes the machine as being significantly similar it will automatically be validated. I don't think you'll have any problems at all reactivating on the same computer after reformatting.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

John Sjostrom 1178954
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers! It is my understanding that activation should not be a problem if installed on the same hardware. But since I can't call an 800-number from Finland, MS Support webpage doesn't recognize my serial and I have failed to find a local phone number to MS, I really want to be as sure as possible that it works.

I'll probably re-install within a month or two and I'll post the result here.

Thanks again!

William Hall 889238
Posted
Posted

This may help - comes from a pdf file I found on MS website and has a phone number for Finland (int. code 358) - apart from that I am in the dark.

Eurooppa, Lähi-itä ja Afrikka. Jos ohjelmisto on hankittu Euroop[Mod - Happy Thoughts]a, Lähi-idässä tai Afrik[Mod - Happy Thoughts]a, rajoitetun takuun myöntäjä on Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited. Asiakas voi tehdä tähän takuuseen liittyvän hyvityspyynnön ottamalla yhteyden jompaankumpaan seuraavista:

· Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited, Customer Care Centre, Atrium Building Block B, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18, Ireland tai

· paikallinen Microsoftin konserniyhtiö (lisätietoja on osoitteessa http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide). Lisätietoja saa myös soittamalla numeroon +358 9 525 501 tai käymällä osoitteessa http://www.microsoft.com/FINLAND/default.mspx.

Best regards

William

John Sjostrom 1178954
Posted
Posted

Hi!

Thanks, I may need the Finnish phone number soon. I need to upgrade my computer and then I doubt that activation will work. However, I did format my C-drive and re-install Windows and FSX yesterday and the activation worked great. What did not work is keeping the old logbook whish is sad. So, now my logbook shows 0 hours and I don't even have a printout of the old one. Well I have a copy of the old logbook filr so I won't give up just yet.

/John