You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSB Questions/Ideas

Brendan Lynch 1167842

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

I'm putting these here, rather than sending them right to the XSB developer, to see if they are already possible.

Suggestion/Question A-

Is there a way to send a PM to all people connected with a similar part of callsign? What I mean is, could I type in .pvt (guess) SIMAF ____ and all pilots flying under a SIMAF callsign receive this PM?

Suggestion/Question B-

Is there a way to PM somebody via voice? Because as I rediscovered earlier tonight, while dogfighting in a MOA, sending a text PM is very difficult, especially when pulling out of a 14,000 ft stall fall with the drag chute and flying out at 100 ft.

2vuh2cx.gif

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I don't think that's a great idea, pilot to pilot PMs are annoying as it is. Doesn't SIMAF use teamspeak?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Yes, but there are times when it becomes more of a h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le than sending PMs. Because X-Plane isn't easy to minimize in a mac, I have to pull it up on my laptop, and in cases like tonight, the battery died. And anyway, TS is more of a briefing and chat area, at least in my experience. And my experience with Pilot to Pilot PMs is that its just nice to have someone to chat with, and when you are dogfighting trash talk.

2vuh2cx.gif

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
Yes, but there are times when it becomes more of a h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le than sending PMs. Because X-Plane isn't easy to minimize in a mac, I have to pull it up on my laptop, and in cases like tonight, the battery died.

Why would you need to minimize X-Plane? Just hit your TS PTT key and talk.

8942.png

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Have separate PTT keys for XSB and TS. Done.

Being able to PM a bunch of ppl at the same time causes more problems than it solves.

A 14,000ft stall? Oh dear.

Ryan Butterworth 1037842
Posted
Posted
I don't think that's a great idea, pilot to pilot PMs are annoying as it is. Doesn't SIMAF use teamspeak?

Why? I do it all the time. Nice to meet fellow rw pilots (and even met a few other rw controllers besides myself)... Plus you can learn what they're flying and where they got the model!

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog +courage+

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted
Have separate PTT keys for XSB and TS. Done.

Being able to PM a bunch of ppl at the same time causes more problems than it solves.

A 14,000ft stall? Oh dear.

14,000 ft stall because it was a maneuver I was trying for the first time, that's all I'll say to avoid being out-dogfought in the future. At about 8,000 I was hopeless, 5,000 I remembered my drag chute, and 100 i was safe, barely. And the other problem with using TS is that people aren't always on TS when they fly, but they are always on FSinn/Squawkbox/XSquawkbox and can be reached there.

2vuh2cx.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted

I don't find pilot-to-pilot texts annoying, either, most of the time. And you always have the option not to reply.

An option for voice chat would be great, as would voice UNICOM.

I guess those are more VATSIM server issues than XSB though.

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Voice unicom has been discussed, and I think I heard something about an indicator when there is a /T/ pilot online.

2vuh2cx.gif

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

considering there are folks already who use voice on unicom and completely disregard text, i dont see an indicator of another text pilot in the area being of any use.

some folks are too hard headed for their own good

there are a few teamspeak chat rooms around, using that would be about as beneficial as using voice on unicom is

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted
considering there are folks already who use voice on unicom and completely disregard text...

If there's already a way to use voice on unicom using XSB on my Mac, I'd love to hear about it, since that's what I was talking about.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

If there's already a way to use voice on unicom using XSB on my Mac, I'd love to hear about it, since that's what I was talking about.

Not thru XSB, but through FSInn, so for now XP users would only have to use text!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

As I recall, when you leave a controller frequency for Unicom, it says in red (chat window) "Disconnected from first voice room."

2vuh2cx.gif