You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

EGLL runway selection

Jan Naslund

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Perhaps this is an old topic but anyway. I fly quite often into EGLL lately. I have read the information on the Vatsim UK Heathrow Pilot briefing room about runway operations. It says:

/// LANDING RWY ALTERNATION Jan 03 - Jan 09

Runway 09R (27L) at night. 27R 0600-1500 / 27L 1500-2359

(Please note, when in easterly operations there is no runway alternation - 09L is used for arrivals and 09R for departures)

When i approach EGLL and check the traffic, it seems to be quite a lot of confusion to which rwy ro use. A few times i had to abort the landing due to opposing departing tfc from the same rwy.

My question is:

How can i determine if easterly operations are in effect or not?

Normally to determine which rwy to use i would check the winds but quite often lately the winds are variable or coming from 90 degrees offset he rwys.

Best Rgs / Jan

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Hi Jan,

Firstly thanks for using the pilot briefing room. Runway selection at EGLL will always cause confusion in the abscence of ATC due to the variety of runways available.

As a general guidelines, westerlies are calm wind runways ie: when the prevailing tailwind is less than 5 knots so easterlies will be used if the tailwind on westerlies are greater than 6kts.

It's no always as clear cut as this though. In a borderline situation (as a calm wind situation often is) then the controllers will look at the TAF to look at the likely wind changes ( and hence avoid changing runway every METAR update) and will often also look at the low level 2000/3000ft winds. Recently in the UK the winds have been from the north and relatively calm on the ground but reasonably strong low level winds. So if the surface wind is 360/4 but the low level winds are 070/15 then we are likely to be using easterlies despite the calm surface wind.

In the abscence of ATC then it's always more complicated. Pilots will usually "follow the lead" and fit into whats already being used particularly if they use the pilots briefing room. Not all pilots do use it though and so will select their own runway. This isn't helped by FS ATC defaulting to easterly operations in calm winds which is opposite to the UK default.

Hope this helps.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

This is a recurring issue and Philip is completely right regarding the problem when no ATC is online. For these situations I recommend:

1) going around if necessary due to inbound opposite traffic (which you already do)

2) disconnecting from VATSIM on the final segment in order to avoid any conflict with other traffic

3) negotiate in UNICOM what to do.

Option 1 is probably the best. Option 2 will be possible for some. Option 3 unfortunately may be hard since not all pilots are on UNICOM.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
This is a recurring issue and Philip is completely right regarding the problem when no ATC is online. For these situations I recommend:

1) going around if necessary due to inbound opposite traffic (which you already do)

2) disconnecting from VATSIM on the final segment in order to avoid any conflict with other traffic

3) negotiate in UNICOM what to do.

Option 1 is probably the best. Option 2 will be possible for some. Option 3 unfortunately may be hard since not all pilots are on UNICOM.

Miguel

Can I suggest 3) first, followed by 1) if necessary? You should be on Unicom in the absence of ATC, so 3) should automatically apply and of course if (when?) you get confliction, apply 1).

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Very good information. It will definetly be easier to "do the right thing" now. Perhaps ths info should be in the Pilot Briefing room as well?

I don't usually use unicom for negotiating with other pilots on arrival as i have noticed that one pilot says that "09L in use" and another "27L". On departure it is easier as i can se which rwy everyone seem to be using (even if i's not correct according to the recommendations)

I try to broadcast on unicom already when i enter the STAR, then again as i enter the initial approach procedure and upon establishing on the localiser.

PS. It' very exciting to fly in and out of EGLL due to the amount of traffic and complexity. Great fun!!!

Best Regards / Jan

• 5 months later...
Leo Malagar 1033099
Posted
Posted

My suggestion is just to follow the real world runway operations when no VATSIM atc is around:

http://www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/LogReport/EGLLADSB.asp

----- few minutes later -----

I found the official VATSIM docomeent on EGLL runway alteration @

http://www.heathrowairport.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Internet/Heathrow_noise/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Downloads/Statics/Heathrow_RunwayAlternation.pdf

Enjoy and hope the confusion is gone...

Regards.