You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vZDV Accepting Applications for Events Director/VA Liaison

Craig Batt 904268

Craig Batt 904268
Posted
Posted

vZDV (Denver) ARTCC is now accepting applications for the Events Director/VA Liaison staff position.

All interested applicants should fill out an application on our website http://www.denartcc.org/forms/staff_app.php

Job Description:

• Works and communicates with the ARTCC Administrative staff to "organize and maintain" the Events Department

• Liaison between vZDV and its Neighboring ARTCCs, VATSIM/VATUSA Event Staff, and Virtual Airlines for flyin/flyout/events

• Coordinate ARTCC-Sponsored Events

• Maintain the Events Category on the vZDV forum

• Post events on VATSIM and VATUSA forums and calendars

• Spends 1-3 hours a week performing the duties of the position

Qualifications:

• REQUIRED: Excellent written and oral communication skills

• REQUIRED: Must be able to complete [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned duties in a timely fashion

• REQUIRED: Self-motivated and responsible.

• REQUIRED: Active member of VATSIM, in good standing with no disciplinary record, and with a S3 Rating or above

• HELPFUL (but not required): Graphic design for Events Banners and Logo

• HELPFUL (but not required): Past experience as a Events Director/ VA Liaison

Come be a part of a "Mile-High" team!!!

Craig

4039.png

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

just curious as to why the applicant must be an S3 or above? Not trying to start a flame or anything, but in all seriousness this position seems like it could be well manned my someone with no controlling experience as well. Just my .02

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

Chad, I believe they want an S-3 or above so these people have some experience with how VATSIM and the community works.

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
Chad, I believe they want an S-3 or above so these people have some experience with how VATSIM and the community works.

well if thats the case, then shouldnt they require that the applicant be a pilot with a certain amount of hours too? VATSIM is works both ways... pilots AND controllers.

Manuel Hernandez 923212
Posted
Posted

I have often wondered that myself. I would be interested in helping out some way. But I am not a controller.

Manuel Hernandez DVA2569

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t Director of Human Resources

Delta Virtual Airlines

www.deltava.org

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

try not to take everything personal Chad.

Tom Meyer 944876
Posted
Posted

I'm curious, why does it matter to you Chad?

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

And the swords are drawn!

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

No sword in my hand though... I never meant to anger anyone, once again this goes to show how much members should yield before asking anything on these forums...

I had a feeling someone’s feelings would be hurt by my honest inquiry. Perhaps its you Mr. Heaney that shouldn’t take things so personally…lol The reason it matters to me is because I would love to get more involved with this amazing organization. I feel I have a lot to offer, especially in this area. But I'm not an experienced controller. I'm sure I'd be a great controller, but it just isn’t my cup of tea to sit and watch a scope... I'd rather look out the window and see the clouds or a fellow pilot off my wing. To each his own though. My hats off to all the ATC out there, I just wish certain VATSIM positions were open to everyone and not just controllers.

I'm a member of this community and have over 1,500 hours of experience... that too, is why it matters to me.

Hope this finds you well.

Respectfully,

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Nothing personal here Chad, I'm not the one complaining. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but this is the third time I've seen you crying about something you think is Anti-Pilot, when it's clearly not true. Again, try not to take everything personally.

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

lol....check my stats!

RJ

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

Thanks for puting words in my mouth Deputy Heaney. Sorry you took my question as a "cry" and sorry for my anti-ATC remarks.

By the way, its always a pleasure flying through ZSE, you and the whole staff are bar none some of the best controllers around. If ever I decide to take up controlling again it would be an honor to work with you.

Have a nice day

Posted
Posted
lol....check my stats!

I just hope your not handling me on Approach to Oakland

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Deputy Heaney? No cowboy hat here Pardner.

Good day to you as well.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Now that we've gotten this out of our systems, Chad raises an excellent point. The key talent for an Event Coordinator or VA liason for an ARTCC or division I suspect is NOT a controller rating, but the ability to effectively work well with the different Virtual Airlines and other VATSIM constituents to drive traffic and create an enjoyable experience for everyone. Allow me to suggest that wether you are an S1, C3 or INS is irrelevant, and that placing a rating restriction might dissuade promising candidates.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I disagree that an ARTCC Event Coordinator doesn't or shouldn't be required to be a controller (specific ratings are another story).

Think about it. You in that role are planning events for your ARTCC that need the appropriate staffing levels. You need to know what controllers at your facility can handle. What amounts of traffic they can handle, will they be able to handle it if a few drop off etc. Can they handle VFR traffic, popup IFR, etc...

Someone who isn't a controller doesn't have this info and can't effectively plan for events or even get close to properly staffing for them.

Nope, if it were my ARTCC, the Events Director position would be manned by a C1 or higher. Why C1? Because, it shows that you are actually here to control and should remain for some time. You aren't always guarantied that with students.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
I disagree that an ARTCC Event Coordinator doesn't or shouldn't be required to be a controller (specific ratings are another story).

Think about it. You in that role are planning events for your ARTCC that need the appropriate staffing levels. You need to know what controllers at your facility can handle. What amounts of traffic they can handle, will they be able to handle it if a few drop off etc. Can they handle VFR traffic, popup IFR, etc...

Someone who isn't a controller doesn't have this info and can't effectively plan for events or even get close to properly staffing for them.

Nope, if it were my ARTCC, the Events Director position would be manned by a C1 or higher. Why C1? Because, it shows that you are actually here to control and should remain for some time. You aren't always guarantied that with students.

Ding ding...we have a winner.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

While I don't disagree with that, moving up the ratings (as I understand it) may involve significant scope time that certain individuals (with families, etc) might not be able to provide even though they may be mature, dedicated individuals. Didn't we have this discussion in another thread discussing the shortage of CTR-rated individuals? A controller rating or hours behind the scope is an indirect measure of commitment and ability in a VA liason role, much like a rank or filed PIREPS/hours are merely indirect reflections of a VA pilot's commitment. Allow me to play Devil's Adovcate for a moment and suggest that if a person who's never belonged to a Virtual Airline can be a VA liason, so can a person who has not been a controller.

Either way, it's not my business to say who can and can't fill another organization's jobs - I've just found that formal restrictions rarely [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist in the process of finding the best person.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Scott Crafton 830179
Posted
Posted

Wow! All this for a simple job advertisement.

Folks, look at it like this. You're looking for a job, and you read a job listing...in that job advertisement you read these types of statements:

'4 years experience required'

'Bachelor of Science degree required'

'Knowledge of XXXXXXX required'

There's no difference here. Don't look at it like we're leaving someone out, but rather requiring certain skills. It's that simple.

Scott Crafton

Air Traffic Manager

vZDV

Scott Crafton

President/CEO

Virtual Frontier Airlines

Posted
Posted

It's like a car dealer, and they don't even have a drivers license