You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Optimizing ATI graphics

Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

any tips for an ATI card? have an ATI Radeon 3200. hopefully by summer i can upgrade it but for the meantime, just trying to get rid of the darn jaggies

have played around with the 3D settings and still. only happens with FS tho, only other game i have is Battlefield, no jaggies there.

have HD Anti Aliasing on app controlled, forcing it to 4x tends to help a little but reduces frames.

HD Anisotropic filtering on App controlled aswell. have tried forcing it, but same.

Catalyst AI is on Advanced.

Mipmap detail level is on high quality

vertical refresh is on always on

Adaptive Anti Alias is on Quality.

OpenGL is on triple buffering.

in FS9 i have all sliders except target frames and hardware rendered lights maxed out. left the target frames are at 30, the lights at 6

Render to texture, transform and lighting and anti aliasing selected, tri-linear, have tried bi-linear aswell

Richard Walsh
Posted
Posted

Having the AA as application controlled is the problem. Let the graphics card handle it. Otherwise the card isn't allowed to do it's job.

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
Having the AA as application controlled is the problem. Let the graphics card handle it. Otherwise the card isn't allowed to do it's job.

Indeed, and make sure it's unchecked in FS as well.

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Daniel Macfarlane 1033470
Posted
Posted

When I first got my new computer it was like that and downgraded the drivers, which fixed. Did you update the drivers to the new ones? 10.12 fixed all my AA problems that I had with the older drivers with a + 2 - 3 fps boost as well.

6078501976_546409509a_o.png

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Ernesto,

You can also download "ATI Tray Tools" by Ray Adams. This is a replacement program for the CCC that adds a lot more options and profile set ups for your card. As the others have said, let the card control the processing rather than the application. This is why it's handy to set up different profiles for each program that you use.

With ATI tray tools installed, you can uninstall the CCC.

Cheers!

Abdelrahman M. Elfeky 1044
Posted
Posted
Hi Ernesto,

You can also download "ATI Tray Tools" by Ray Adams. This is a replacement program for the CCC that adds a lot more options and profile set ups for your card. As the others have said, let the card control the processing rather than the application. This is why it's handy to set up different profiles for each program that you use.

Cheers!

I did install the ATI tray tool myself , first problem I had to face is the resolution .My screen runs 1920x10800p and it only allows up to 1440x900 , any work-around for this problem ?

Regards,,,

s5_logo.png

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Maybe ATT can't handle those sort of resolutions. I know the program itself can be a bit dated and maybe doesn't support some of the latest cards/drivers. However, from what i have read, Ray Adams has been working with ATI and I believe you can get a new program called RadeonPro specifically designed for the latest cards.

Cheers!

Abdelrahman M. Elfeky 1044
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Maybe ATT can't handle those sort of resolutions. I know the program itself can be a bit dated and maybe doesn't support some of the latest cards/drivers. However, from what i have read, Ray Adams has been working with ATI and I believe you can get a new program called RadeonPro specifically designed for the latest cards.

Cheers!

Hello,

Thanks for the tip , I will go and google it. I do have 5850 myself and Am quite sure that RadeonPro would support it

Regards,,,

s5_logo.png

• 1 year later...
Jeffrey Streiff 1113976
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what other settings I could use for the ATI 2GB 5870 GPU for best frames per second? I read in a post to turn off AA which I plan to do or at least not go over 4X AA. I have an Intel dual core 3.4Ghz processor. Screen size 23" 1600x1080. Also if you have add-on scenery like GEX try minimizing the Autogen slider to the left or all the way off so the GPU will do it's work? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

How fortunate that I saw this thread. In the process of checknig for the most current driver for my ATI Radeon 4550 I was also looking around the Control Panel at "rarely" used programs. I found that CCC hadn't been used since 4/30/2010, so I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed this was the Control Center for the old card I replaced with the 4550. My reasoning was I used the CCC that installed with the 4550 quite a bit the first few days and this was only a month ago so the one "rarely" used must have been the old one and....I uninstalled it and there went my control center for the new card also.

I installed tool tray and got control of my card back. Question, though, I have looked and cannot really find a description of all the gidgets and gadgets it wanted me to select settings for. Using the FSInn Philosophy of "just click 'yes'" during the install who knows what I have done. Except for letting the app control AA, which I knew I didn't want to happen, if it was already checked to be installed I installed it. If it wasn't already checked, I didn't "check" it.

The install instructions really didn't explain what everything was and there were 4 pages of choices to go through to install the tray.

I do know that since I installed tool tray my Framerate has dropped from the 40-50's to the mid-20's to 40's. I know that because there is now a "cute little yellow (red if frames go below 25) counter" in the upper right corner of FS9 screen telling me that and I have no idea how to get rid of it. There surely must be other gadgets I don't need, but what to choose, what to choose?

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training