You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Oscar Night in LA

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

I just wanted to let you folks at VATUSA, speciically the Seattle, Oakland, and Los Angeles ARTCCs know what a great time I had flying the old school "Connie" VOR to VOR for Oscars Night from Seattle to Los Angeles. If there weren't three ARTCCs involved I would have went to the specific ARTCC website.

Three hours and 48 minutes and I had ATC "virtually" all the way. It was awesome.

SEA_DEL was professional and quick, although I did not think to get his name...and for that I apologize...he handled a bunch of ASA and DAL requests very professionally.

SEA_GND was likewise very good at getting people to the active, despite some very new pilots and conflicting sceneries that had pilots taxiing all over the place. Alas, I also didn't get his name, but maybe this quote will pinpoint his identity..."What the (heck) is with all you Delta Pilots, you got an event we going on that we don't know about?"

SEA_TWR was manned by the highly talented Connor King. Need I say more...

No SEA_CTR, but soon enough I was in OAK airspace and the always friendly, always professional Charan Kumar took me through Oakland Airspace. It was a joy to listen to his banter mixed in with excellent directions to "his" pilots. He even moved from one Oakland Center to the next just to keep "the ride" going for us pilots.

Sadly, LAX_CTR logged off before I got there, but LAX_APP came on just as I started the SADDE6 Arrival. Unfortunately I did not get this gentleman's name, because he was impressive...that's all I can say, impressive. Very patient with new guys and old-timers alike...even the "ZZZZ" Cessna that was calling himself "Heavy". Got us all lined up for our approaches to LAX with nary a glitch or problem...despite my wide turn to final for 24R...the Connie doesn't turn very good at approach speeds for some reason.

LAX_TWR was Tyler Goeggel...I hope I spelled that right Tyler, my apologies if I didn't. If he noticed that my FS9 froze for about 20 heart pounding seconds when I turned to final he didn't mention it. He was the only other controller to notice I was flying the Connie and had two aircraft behind me slow to accommodate my slower approach.

An awesome trip with awesome ATC...

Here's what I looked like somewhere near Crater Lake, Oregon.

ConnieoverCraterLake.jpg

Thanks all...

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Sounds like fun .

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

It was refreshing to see a CONI chugging along amongst all that jet whine. I initially didnt notice the wave and was about to log off, glad I stayed back

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

The Center guy that logged off, was me. I didn't mean or intend to either (power outage). I have to apologize for that, because I was trying to get everyone sequenced and merged in 2 different converging arrival streams, and when everything goes black on you, you're kinda SOL.

So my apologies on that, everyone.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

No apology necessary Brad. It's the "nature of the beast". You were there...that's all that matters...not that you went away. Honestly, it was kinda nice to take my headset off for a few and grab a quick drink. LAX_APP chimed me way too soon as I was gonna grab a...hate me if you must but it's my only vice besides VATSIM...quick smoke...

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Brad, isn't that one of the worst feelings in the world? It's never fun to know that you've just screwed a lot of people over. It's only happened to me a handful of times in 7yrs, but when it has...it's left me feeling helpless, deflated and without hope....like any normal marriage.