You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help want to learn to fly in Russia

Ron Kress 894131

Ron Kress 894131
Posted
Posted

I’ve wanted to fly in Russia on VATSIM for along time.

My favorite airline is Aeroflot. I fly may Aeroflot flights offline but never on VATSIM. I’m very interested in Russia and even trying to learn Russian.

Even part of my family is from Russia. The problem I have I don’t understand much Russian I only know very basic words.

I’ve been on the VATSIM Russia division website many times trying to hunt for information. Because I can’t understand much Russian I can’t understand some very important flying rules. Like SID and STARS the only ones I’ve found were all in Russian. I do know about metric flight levels some and I’m trying to understand QFE altimeter settings. Can anyone help me with some of my questions about flying in Russia? And what are rules for flying VFR?

I’ve been wanting to fly there for along time now. Would it be ok to logon to VATSIM sometime when I see a Russian center online and try a flying?

I don’t want to upset the controllers because I don’t speak the language. But I don’t want to feel cutoff from flying in this part of the world. If it is not possible to fly there without knowing how to speak Russian that would be very sad. As it would be just another part of the world I can’t fly in on VATSIM. I have the same language problem in South America. And flying around the U.S is getting kind of old to me.

I would appreciate any help on this

Thanks,

Ron

Ron

Alexey Linnik 940847
Posted
Posted

Hi Ron! I am from Russia. Virtual Airlines Siberia (S7) . i am try help you. you may come in mIrc. server: irc.rinet.ru port 6669 channel # VA-s7. you are welcome!

Sbi(Alexey)

Ron Kress 894131
Posted
Posted

Thanks Alexey for the reply.

I just downloaded MIRC and added the Russian server to it.

Hope to see you on MIRC soon.

And thanks again for wanting to help me out.

Ron

Victor Rudnov 888637
Posted
Posted

Hello Ron,

I'm owner of "Aeroflot - Russian Virtual Airlines" in VATSIM. Our company is operating from Moscow Sheremetyevo (UUEE) according to real Aeroflot flightplans and routes and, of course, following real timetable. Currently we have fleet consisting of Tupolev 134 and 154, Ilyshin 86 and 96, Airbus A319/320/321, and Boeing 767 aircraft. So if you're interested - visit our site http://www.va-aeroflot.ru , or e-mail me:

rudnoff(a)mail.ru or info(a)va-aeroflot.ru

and perhaps we'll figure something out

p.s. yep, we also have a chanell in mIRC: #va_aeroflot (port and server is the same, which were noticed by Alexey)

Regards,

Victor

Corrado Sinigoi 818540
Posted
Posted

Ron, as far as I know, it's not necessary to speak russian to fly in russian airspace. From my experience, I've done many flights in and out of Moscow, S. Peterburg, Novosibirsk and other cities without speaking russian (even if I'm trying to learn it too ). You may hear controllers and pilots speaking in russian but this is normal in every country: for example in Italy our pilots and controllers communicate both in english and italian. If you know about metric levels, there's little more I think you need to know to fly in Russia; SIDs and STARs are almost the same than in every part of the world, except they use metric levels and are written in russian with russian alphabet; if you know russian alphabet or if you need a translation of russian charts, you can use some free online translator: usually they're not so good, but if you only need to translate "turn left/right" or "climb" or similar, I guess it's ok to use a translator. Every time I've flown in Russia, controllers were always kind and prepared. So have good flights in Russia!

Ciao,

Corrado

Corrado Sinigoi

818540.png

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I also have the same experience. No problems flying in Russia. The only problem i have is if it is busy on the frequency i don't know when it's ok to butt in with my call. I don't know if the controller is waiting for another pilot to respond or not.

Basically i wait a little bit and then i just go for it. If i interrupt the pilot reply so be it. Can't be helped.

Cheers / Jan

• 1 year later...
Alexandr Sushko 955970
Posted
Posted

Hi, pilots!

As I can see, you are going to fly Russia. Ok, here is some information about metric

leveling, QFE etc.

The main problem for you is of course that FL, altitudes, airspeeds, wind speeds and altimeter

settings are given in units you are not using during others flights as, for example, in Europe. And

we are using QFE, not QNH.

The main differences are:

FL and altitudes are given in meters:

“Fast air 354, descend FL three thousand niner hundred metersâ€