You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

re: Clarification?

Brian Cheung 1181193

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ted,

xSquawkBox (XSB) feeds off your COM1 frequency. So if you want to xmit on UNICOM (122., set your COM1 frequency to 122.8.

To see who is online, put your mouse to the top of the screen so the main X-Plane menubar shows up. Click on "Plugins" -> "xSquawkbox" -> Show Who Is Online

Edited by Guest

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted

ok no idea how this became a new topic. Can someone move it back to the correct thread please?

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg

Ted Au 1176285
Posted
Posted

Hi Brian. Apologies for the delay in feedback here. I was a bit under the weather the last couple days as well as flying on FSX for an event.

Anyway I managed to get connected this morning and was able to establish voice comms as a test with a tower controller.

What I am not clear on (bear with me here as my experience is only with FSInn):

-Based on what you are saying I can only monitor 1 channel at a time? As in whatever COM1 is tuned to?

-In order to type in the channel I am tuned to...I just hit "enter"...type message in little text box and "enter" again?

-If I am tuned to UNICOM where do I see other pilot messages displayed as the text box is not open by default.

-Do I still get destination ATIS summaries while enroute?

-Should I indicate in FP RMK's that I am on XSB flying Xplane?

Cheers,

Ted

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted

Ted,

You can monitor two frequencies simultaneously using COM1 and COM2. The "//" shortcut is just a quick way to tune your COM1 without having to use the panel knobs. I often have COM1 tuned to my active frequency (or UNICOM if in uncontrolled airspace) and COM2 tuned to either UNICOM (if in controlled airspace) or my destination airport's ATIS if on approach.

To transmit text, you hit "Enter" (the default hotkey) which will bring up a text entry box. Type your message and hit "Enter" again to send the message. You can also hit "Escape" if you want to cancel out of the text transmit box.

If you are tuned to UNICOM and the text box is not displayed, it will pop up when a new text transmission is received. Alternatively, you can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a hotkey to toggle the text box on or off. I think the default hotkey for this is "TAB"

ATIS summaries are available only if you are in controlled airspace, monitoring the appropriate frequency, and the controller has input a text ATIS. You can always type ".metar ICAO_CODE" to get the most current metar for an airport (i.e. ".metar KIAD").

You don't need to indicate that you're on XSB in your remarks - it really doesn't make a lick of difference to the controller

Hope this helps!

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Note that you can only transmit on COM1. COM2 is receive-only.

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted

That is true, thanks Wade

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg

Ted Au 1176285
Posted
Posted

One more question for you:

I don't see anything like a mode controller on FSInn for Charlie. Do I just adjust my transponder via my cockpit controls?

As in SBY on ground and flip to on/ALT for Charlie?

I am not sure what the XSB standby mode does as it does not seem to toggle for me.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

for FSINN, click the little orange S (Standby), itll turn to a green C (Charlie). double click it and itll turn into a black I (IDENT)

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

You use the transponder in the cockpit, but to go mode C, go into plugins, XSquawkbox, Squawk Standby. Make sure that is unchecked, if it is you are mode C.

2vuh2cx.gif

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Use the transponder that is in the aircraft.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
You use the transponder in the cockpit, but to go mode C, go into plugins, XSquawkbox, Squawk Standby. Make sure that is unchecked, if it is you are mode C.

That menu item is only intended for aircraft which do not have a transponder in the cockpit (since a transponder is required to fly on VATSIM).

If there's a transponder in your cockpit, use it to control the transponder.

Ted Au 1176285
Posted
Posted

That menu item is only intended for aircraft which do not have a transponder in the cockpit (since a transponder is required to fly on VATSIM).

If there's a transponder in your cockpit, use it to control the transponder.

Ahhh that totally clears that up. The Shade Tree Micro PC-12 I have does have full avionics including fully functional transponder. I was just used to the FSInn business of having to still cycle the green/orange tally as well. In XSB I was clicking away in the plug in trying to make the standby go away

All set and flying CYVR-CYCG as we speak.

Thanks for the help!

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted

Glad it worked out for you, Ted. Happy flying!

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg