You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A little help with ARTCC

Cliff Stoczynski 1155839

Cliff Stoczynski 1155839
Posted
Posted

I would like to fly a VFR flight out of KOLG, which is a non controlled airport. But most of the time i log on, the CTR of (ARTCC) KZMP, is on. VATSpy shows the outline that KOLG falls under his/her area. I have done searches for: procedures of a ARTCC, Who controlls ARTCC, but nothing came up.

So do i need to contact him/her for anything before, during, a flight? Im not sure, since im flying out of a non controlled airport. To my understanding while i fly out of a non controlleed airport, i just set my radio to Unicom 122.80, and check to see if there are any aircraft in the area. But the ARTCC gets me a little confused.

I am still doing alot of reading, and just logging on to observe. But still a little nervous to just get my first flight under my belt.

Thanks,

Cliff

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

you hit the nail on the head to depart from an uncontrolled field you simply tune to unicomm check for traffic and go. be aware of where you're at tho so you don't fly into controlled airspace without first contacting atc

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Chris,

If the airport does not have a control tower and you are VFR, then, yes; all you need you to do is tune to 122.80 and announce all your intentions there.

If you would like flight following after departure, tune to the CTR and ask them for it (don't forget a position report so they know where you are).

But once you stay out of B, C or D airspace, there is no need to contact any controller, just stay on UNICOM.

If you are IFR, you can call the CTR before you depart to pick up your clearance and an IFR release, then go back to UNICOM for your departure and once airborne, contact CTR again for radar service.

Or you can depart as a VFR aircraft and then call CTR once airborne for an IFR pop up clearance.

Also note, that if Duluth approach is online they would be the controller handling you. Only contact CTR if Duluth approach is not online.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

dont forget, when in doubt, ask nothing wrong with checking with the controller to be sure they arent handling tower service at your airport

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted
dont forget, when in doubt, ask nothing wrong with checking with the controller to be sure they arent handling tower service at your airport

That's the best policy, honestly. I can't tell you how many poor pilots call up out of PHL for IFR clearance because Washington Center owns a shelf above PHL, but VATSpy (or the like) doesn't depict that, it just shows DC_CTR as covering PHL. If you call and ask, the worst that'll happen is we'll say it's outside our airspace.

Just tune the freq, wait for a break and ask. Alternatively, you can PM, but give the PM a few minutes because we may be too busy to type for a min or two.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

Cliff Stoczynski 1155839
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your replies.

I didn't expect replies this quick, but thank you. And during that time i did google ARTCC - Air Route Traffic Control Center.

And watched this old time video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX66lrGq ... ure=relmfu

It did help me understand more of the handoffs from different posotions of the control center.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

Cliff

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

You can also check airnav.com. It will show what ARTCC and whether it has a control tower or not. http://www.airnav.com