You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

fsx distorted text

Dan Giordano

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

hey guys, well i just got my new rig and seems to run great. the only thing that is kind of annoying is the text, here is a picture of what i mean. its a little hard to see with a compressed picture but if you look at the bottom right had corner of the gps screen you can see a line that goes through it. and sometimes cuts numbers and letters in half. I don't see that line anywhere else except the gps window and fspax window

fsxtextdistortion.png

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

actually now that i look closer i can see that little line through the hole screen

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Dan

make sure that he monitor resolution uis set to the same as the sim resolution or vice versa.

be interesting to know what size monitor you have.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

its a Acer x223w 22''

resolution at 1440x900

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

here is another picture and i circled where you can see it. not sure if there is a setting in the video card panel, i have the ATI Radeon HD 5670

fsxline.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Dan,

For what it's worth, I had this same thing happen to me. I have no idea what caused it, I only know it went away on it's on after a couple of days. It was most noticeable to me in the FSInn Chat window.

I posted about it in the FSInn Forums, but it was a long time ago. I do remember no one knew really what caused it. I remember one of the suggestions was to try a different server and see if it went away. I did and it did and didn't return when I went back to the NW server in Vancouver.

That doesn't mean they were related cause/fix...may have just been coincidence.

Basically, haven't helped a bit I know, but just wanted you to know I've seen the same "backwards italic" font and it went away on it's own...I think

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

ok thanks Randy, ill take a look and see if its a server related issue, im using SB, ill have to take a closer look at that.

thanks for the reply

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

well doesn't look like its a connection issue. line was there and i didn't even have SB running.

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

here is a new pic of the lines that i see, its hard to see in the picture, but where you see red lines in the picture is where i see the lines in FS. im not sure if its a video card issue or a monitor issue, cause the text is hard to read also at times, and that's not just FS.

morelines.png

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

i went ahead and emailed Microsoft about this. cause i can also see blurry or smeared text outside of FS. sometimes the text shows a hint of green in it also.

• 2 months later...
Eric Cuchel 1195128
Posted
Posted

If this helps to isolate the issue, i have the same problem. My specs that matter are a 1366x768 panel, on an ATI 5650, I am using the latest 11.6 drivers. All settings are set to application and Mip Map is set to High Quality. Otherwise you can't read the text in the menus. Found that out when I had Mip Map set to Performance.

I am tracing it down to a ATI issue. Between the cloud performance issues and little bugs like this I would never recommend ATI for FSX use. But, I will keep trouble shooting.

PS: I did a from scratch install to verify software conflict.

Reinstalled Win 7 64bit fresh

Installed all drivers, then Win updates.

Installed FSX, defrag, SP1, defrag, SP2, Defrag

Problem is still there with new drivers on virgin install. It is not FSX, but a video setting. A skewed line would mean that the video card is adding a bit of data at the end of the code. This bit contiunes to cascade thus causing a skewed line to form. I am guessing it is releated to how the ATI card scales the image. Which is odd considering that I have FSX set to native resolution, and set Widescreen=True in FSX.cfg

The hunt contiunes....

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted
If this helps to isolate the issue, i have the same problem. My specs that matter are a 1366x768 panel, on an ATI 5650, I am using the latest 11.6 drivers. All settings are set to application and Mip Map is set to High Quality. Otherwise you can't read the text in the menus. Found that out when I had Mip Map set to Performance.

I am tracing it down to a ATI issue. Between the cloud performance issues and little bugs like this I would never recommend ATI for FSX use. But, I will keep trouble shooting.

PS: I did a from scratch install to verify software conflict.

Reinstalled Win 7 64bit fresh

Installed all drivers, then Win updates.

Installed FSX, defrag, SP1, defrag, SP2, Defrag

Problem is still there with new drivers on virgin install. It is not FSX, but a video setting. A skewed line would mean that the video card is adding a bit of data at the end of the code. This bit contiunes to cascade thus causing a skewed line to form. I am guessing it is releated to how the ATI card scales the image. Which is odd considering that I have FSX set to native resolution, and set Widescreen=True in FSX.cfg

The hunt contiunes....

yep, its still there, im kinda used to it now but i also know what you mean with the menus and having the mip map to performance.