You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TGIF in 2006 & Thank you!

Lance Williams

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

On behalf of the four (4) official TGIF VA's I wanted to send out a HUGE THANK YOU to every ARTCC that has graciously hosted this weekly event. I'd say for a weekly event, we've done some amazing things. When I say we, I mean ATC and the participating pilots. This weekly event easily draws 70+ arrivals on an "Off week." and 100+ on good weeks.

This type of consistent traffic is only possible because of the continued top-notch ATC each participating pilot has received over the past year. So with that, I THANK YOU ALL for hosting us!!! We couldn't do it without you!

With that said, we are now looking forward to 2006 and hope to continue the weekly TGIF events as they seem to be a great Friday evening draw.

TGIF has become too large for us to arbitrarily [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign arrival airports now though, so we are asking for your help to continue this very successful event. 2006 TGIF arrival destinations will be 100% invite only. This means, we need you the ARTCC Air Traffic Manager or Events Director to have a look at our schedule (http://vcair.com/events/tgif_schedule.php), pick a date, rally the troops and send us your invitation. All open dates will have a link that you can click on to send us your invitation. Once we receive your invite, we'll plan & coordinate with you to make it successful.

I hope this makes sense and sounds like a solid plan for each ARTCC.

We look forward to flying into your facility in 2006!

Thank you again!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Ethan Stein 890841
Posted
Posted

And thank you for coordinating this great event! As an ATC, I have taken part in one TGIF at KSFO in the past, and am getting ready for the December 9th event at Philadelphia, and can say it is a great opportunity for ARTCCs to test their skills at real-world traffic levels - as well as pilots to test their skills with full ATC. Thanks to everyone!

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

I would like to echo that. Thank you Lance. Also, thank you to all the pilots and controllers who participate, since you make the "magic" happen. Even the "tag-alongs" add to the excitement. I think people now react to the phrase "TGIF" in one of two ways. Either they shudder and reach for the bottle of tylenol, or say "Alright! Let me mix another drink and I'll be right there!" (then reach for the tylenol later)

Either way, seeing ServInfo on a Friday night, looking at all inbounds to one area makes you really appreciate what this hobby is all about (uh oh, I said "hobby".. That's sacrilege..). It's cool to be flying and knowing the pilot in sequence behind me lives 15 minutes away, and the one in front of me lives in a different hemisphere.

Here's looking forward to TGIF '06!

Cheers,

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the great turnout your event has produced every week Lance. I know all the ARTCCs that have hosted TGIF appreciate it, and we all look forward to the next time TGIF visits our facilities.

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

Kyle Sipples 932159
Posted
Posted (edited)

I echo the thanks.

I think the lesson we can all take from TGIF is that it benefits both VAs and ARTCCs to work together. TGIF is a great example of that. Pilots are looking for controllers and controllers are looking for pilots. With TGIF, both groups come together instead of each group fishing on their own. So hats off to TGIF, and here's to more great events in the future!

Edited by Guest

Joe Mifsud 928114
Posted
Posted

I've controlled in two TGIF events so far and both of them have been great! From the controllers side its great to be able to control like they do in real life daily at major cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airports! I haven't flown into one yet, but I will be soon, just gotta get some more practice in landing those big jets . Thanks alot to all of the VAs, ARTCCs, Pilots, and of course VCAIR for organizing the whole thing!

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

TGIF is a great series.

Nice work on putting it together Lance and congrats to everyone on both sides of the scopes and behind the scenes at every level for making it such a success.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

One of my best nights controlling was bringing all the TGIF aircraft into Phoenix Skyharbor as tower.

Thanks to Lance and everyone who organizes, controls, and flys TGIF events.

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all the ARTCC's that house us at VCA and also to you Lance. TGIF has really become something that I look foward to all week weather I'm controlling it or flying. It's a time to kick back and enjoy the ride and sometimes more than realistic traffic levels. I hope to see this grow even more and to see more ARTCC's wanting to get involved.

1000.png