You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

GTX 570 vs HD6970

Marco Nasti 1101342

Marco Nasti 1101342
Posted
Posted

So, here we are.

I can't afford a GTX 580, but I can afford either a GTX 570 or a ATI 6970 2GB.

Considering that I will play other games than FSX, like Battlefield, Dirt, Crysis, CoD, and so on, what would you suggest? In FSX the most important thing is the CPU, isn't it?

I will play at 1920x1080, and I may buy a new monitor which supports a resolution 1920x1200 or 3D in the future, but that's unlikely to happen in the next year.

The CPU will probably be a 2500K.

Thanks a lot!

Marco Nasti

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

If it was a choice between the 560 and 6970 I might just choose the ATI especially for having 2gigs of memory, but the 570 and 580 are still better. It's all about CPU Speed and the number of raster operators the video card has. ATI has only scaled to 32 cores while the Nvidia's boast 40 and 48 cores in the 570 and 580.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

might also want to consider the gtx 550's or 560's as a cheaper alternative as well

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Marco Nasti 1101342
Posted
Posted

I googled a bit yesterday evening, and now I'm thinking of buying two VGA to make a SLI or a Crossfire.

What about a GTX 560ti SLI or HD6950 Crossfire?

I know that FSX may not get any advantage with a Crossfire or a SLI, but the other games do.

Marco Nasti

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Crossfire or SLI depends on the MB doesn't it? You can only do one of the two. What MotherBoard do you have?

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Just something to think about.

You could buy the 2GB variant of the 6950 and (depending on the brand you buy) flash the BIOS up to the 6970, unlocking the card to the same features the 6970 has. So You'll get the features and power of a 6970 for the price of a 2GB 6950.

There are a LOT of articles out in teh internetz about how to do it, but that is an option for you if you'd like to go down that route. If you do go the AMD/ATI way, be sure that your case can fit it. rumour has it those cards are HUGE (smallest one I found in terms of size) was 10.5" in length..

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't sacrifice FSX quality just to be able to play xbox games at really high frame rates and with insanes levels of AA/AF. Stick with the 570 that's plenty of power to do both.

I think the only thing that would be better than a 570, is a 560 plus water cooling on the 2500k..