You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 freezing issue.

Cameron Longest 953538

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted

So I recently started flying on the sim again and I have noticed that when I start a flight it will usually freeze. the entire game doesnt freeze just seems to be the screen. However I have found a way around this. Basically when the screen freezes I click the menu for weather. then just cancel and the screen un freezes however it will do this every like 2 minutes really annoying to have to keep doing it during a flight especially on takeoff and approach?

Any ideas guys?

and also whenever I try to configure an aircraft file. like say if I am putting a VC into a plane and need to add to the aircraft.cfg file. it doesnt allow me to save the doc for some reason some error pops up.

Windows 7

EJA282

Senior Cap.- Citation 550/680/750

rotate.php

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Not saying this could be it, but...in my sim, sometimes the cursor looses focus on the FS program. If this was happening and in your general settings you haven't unchecked "Pause on task switch", then your sim is going to freeze.

As for the second one, you probably don't have admin rights over the folders. There are some detailed descriptions on why you should take full control over the FSX folders with admin privileges, look for it. Also, post the exact error, so folks can give you a more specific reply

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted
Not saying this could be it, but...in my sim, sometimes the cursor looses focus on the FS program. If this was happening and in your general settings you haven't unchecked "Pause on task switch", then your sim is going to freeze.

As for the second one, you probably don't have admin rights over the folders. There are some detailed descriptions on why you should take full control over the FSX folders with admin privileges, look for it. Also, post the exact error, so folks can give you a more specific reply

No its not the task switching, just the screen freezes. For example when ever I change views, open cabin doors, look left or right, and sometimes it does it just out of the blue.. Really frustrating.

As for the second thing I fixed that I had to change UAC off. So all good there, thanks.

Please help me out guys!

EJA282

rotate.php

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Wild guess, next time it freezes, try pressing the 'Alt' key, see if it unfreezes. Keyboard errors can sometimes cause that in the USB/wireless ones. I have to press all alt/ctrl/shift keys to find out which one is locked before I can type normally...no freezes though.

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted
Wild guess, next time it freezes, try pressing the 'Alt' key, see if it unfreezes. Keyboard errors can sometimes cause that in the USB/wireless ones. I have to press all alt/ctrl/shift keys to find out which one is locked before I can type normally...no freezes though.

I will give that a go thanks

EJA282

rotate.php

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted

and thats a negative on that too. good guess tho because i do use a wireless keyboard.

EJA282

rotate.php

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

A question you should answer about this should be:

When your FS freezes, does it also freeze other programs (SB/FSInn)? In other words when this happens is your actual position still being updated (are you moving on VATSIM) and when you unfreeze, does your view snap to that location.

If you are still moving, then it more than likely some sort of graphics display error (check your graphics drivers. Did you update them recently?). If you stop moving (everything freezes) then it is indicative of a larger problem (cpu loading etc.).

Cheers!

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted
Hi,

A question you should answer about this should be:

When your FS freezes, does it also freeze other programs (SB/FSInn)? In other words when this happens is your actual position still being updated (are you moving on VATSIM) and when you unfreeze, does your view snap to that location.

If you are still moving, then it more than likely some sort of graphics display error (check your graphics drivers. Did you update them recently?). If you stop moving (everything freezes) then it is indicative of a larger problem (cpu loading etc.).

Cheers!

Ya see thats the thing. example if im in the 2D panel and it freezes the bottom half of the screen will work fine so all my gauges continue to work. just the outside window portion of the screen locksup.

I havent updated my graphics drivers...ugh ever how do i do that?

thanks for the help

EJA282

rotate.php

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted

Ok so I updated my drivers and still the same thing happens. Im not sure.. Im completely stumped. Could it be the game you think?

EJA282

rotate.php

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Have you checked windows update to see if you're missing any .net updates/patches or even patches in general? You should also check if you're due an update to DirectX.

Cheers!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

And while you are at it, also post your Video card and Mother board...maybe it's something somebody here has heard about or knows about!!

Cameron Longest 953538
Posted
Posted

I cannot figure out what would be causing this. I guess I have to start flying on FSX

EJA282

rotate.php

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

when all else fails, reinstall

altho it sounds a lot like a graphics issue.

what DirectX version do you have? run a diagnosis on it