You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Wow, Wow, Wow.....the FNO WX at KSTL

Joe Swierupski 836988

Joe Swierupski 836988
Posted
Posted

In the years I have flown with VATSIM I thought I had experienced weather but LAST NIGHT took them all!

I was flying as AAL383 from KJFK to KSTL and the en route weather was basically routine until I got into the KSTL area around 0130Z. As KC CTR descended me on the VHP.VLA7 STAR, I started to notice alot of buildups coming into the St. Louis area. As I got lower I could see lightning in the distance and I was heading straight for it. Around 11000 feet, everything went crazy!

I lost all forward visibility in the cloud deck and my 737 was pelted non stop with HEAVY RAIN-the noise of the rain hitting the plane was LOUD. Just before APP vectored me to my downwind, all of a sudden the plane's wings rolled hard right and pitched down. I had to disconnect the AP and manually take over flying. My heading had also been affected and I was about 20 degrees off course. I thought this was really strange.......Active Sky does a good job of wake turbulence simulation, but there was nobody that close in front of me and I really had to struggle to get the airplane set up again to continue the approach. I didn't report it to ATC thinking it was "just another FS9 glitch".

On the downwind leg for 12L the heavy rain continued (and I do mean heavy!) , only now there was turbulence and CONSTANT LIGHTNING, and I could NOT maintain my airspeed within 20 knots of the 210 I was shooting for, despite reconnecting the AP and AT. I started then to notice that the sky had turned a strange shade of gray I hadn't seen before and it was just plain eerie and very realistic. I started to hear that a few planes on the approach had gone missed-not good news because this meant the WX was bad the entire way in.

Turning base to final in zero viz and more rain, I turned on the HUD and was very glad I did. When I joined the 12L LOC I was switched over to TWR and the controller asked me- "AAL383, can you see the TORNADO out there?" I honestly had NO CLUE what he had been talking about and I kind of blurted out -"Ah........no, we don't see anything, still in the clouds". When the GS was intercepted I went off AP and started hand flying the rest of the way in. I had been following a turbo prop in front of me about 7 miles ahead and when he reported going missed, I wasn't surprised.

I had zero visibility on final until about 1000 feet and was constantly buffetted by turbulence. I had real difficulties flying final keeping up a targeted 150 knot approach speed-there were +/- 10-15 knot wind shears and constant changes of wind. Even with using the trusty HUD display, I was rolling all over the place and had real problems keeping the plane on the GS. I finally saw the RW lead in lights and managed to land uneventfully. During the taxi to gate, I noticed my hands were moist and I really was "wired"-this was the WORST WEATHER I had ever flown in!

When I was done flying and the PC was shut down, I went upstairs started talking like a crazy person to my wife and daughter about the "wild weather in St. Louis". I described how intense and realistic it was, and just very, very challenging. You can imagine my surprise when I happened to turn on the Weather Channel just a few minutes later and they were reporting LIVE from St. Louis Lambert Aiport about a TORNADO and severe thunderstorms in the St. Louis area! Now I knew what the TWR controller was talking about! I don't know if the sim depicted my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing through this or not, but something made the plane fly like a bucking bronco and it wasn't wake turb from a Beech 1900.

I wanted to share what this experience was like with everybody-amazing can't describe it. (and of course we wouldn't do this in RL!) Special thanks to the VATSIM KC CTR, APP, and TWR sector controllers-you were fantastic! I have to comment also on the great fidelity and realism that using ACTIVE SKY and FS9 offered-this is as good as it gets!

One night to remember!

Jswier, AAL383

Michael Stein 1035507
Posted
Posted

Good story! I live out by KSTL and it was that bad! I was chasing one tornado for a while but never caught it

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

I have several friends who flew in this event and said it was the craziest and most awesome event they've flown on VATSIM. Great job guys.

• 1 month later...
Michael Bertolini
Posted
Posted

I worked Tower that night, was even crazy that some of you could make it to the ground!

Michael Bertolini

Instructor

The Atlanta Center ARTCC

http://www.atlantacenter.net

RW Certified Professional Air Traffic Controller (CPC)