You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[Fs9] 2 questions: Addon airport on map/Resizing panels

Mattias Albinsson 1154905

Posted
Posted

Hey all

I'm enchanting my FS9 a little with various add-ons.. But now i've got some problems that I'd need some help or advice with, and you guys here are experienced with all of this

So, first, I'm installing all add-on freeware swedish airports/-fields available from http://www.rbdesign.se/scenery2.html.

There are a lot of them, so I'm installing them "five and five", I mean that I'm adding 5 of them, testing them, if they crash fs9/fs9-map etc. So far most of them are working (2 have been in the wrong location at the map, but that is not the question right now).

The question is that there is 1 airfield that someone made as his first one (read-me file says so).

It is ESFA - Hässleholm/Bokeberg.

Link: http://www.rbdesign.se/download/flygplatser/ESFA_FS9.zip

Anyway. This airport isn't one of the default FS9-airports. So when I added it, it is found under "add-on scenery" when choosing airport. But it won't show on the map.

Can I in some easy way fix it so that it'll show up on the FS9 map/gps?

And second question is about addon-aircraft.

I've got an aircraft that can be upgraded with higher quality Virtual Cockpit... The problem is that the upgrade is for FSX. But according to a forum it is possible to make it work in FS9. All that is needed is to change some .bmp-textures from the aircraft from 2048x2048px to 1024x1024px.

Now, that seems simple, I thought... But no, VSO Image Resizer made all the files black, no standard image editor that I have opens the files (Paint, PhotoFiltre).

So, any advice how to resize the panels/images?

(Dont have photoshop, and they don't work in the 2048x2048 resolution )

Well, thanks for answers (and for reading the long thread)

//M

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I haven't opened the files myself, so forgive me for that. You could try and use AFCAD, a free airport editor for FS9, open the said file and save it back with all needed details, like run error check etc and add some info or missing details, see if it shows up. Make sure the airport .bgl file is in the add-on scenery/scenery folder. And you should've started up FS9 after adding the BGL to the add-on folder. While FS9 is running, it won't accept new airports.

For the second one, paint.net and Gimp, both very good image editing software, free, should be able to do the trick, all tho, it's been a while since I used them.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Posted
Posted
I haven't opened the files myself, so forgive me for that. You could try and use AFCAD, a free airport editor for FS9, open the said file and save it back with all needed details, like run error check etc and add some info or missing details, see if it shows up. Make sure the airport .bgl file is in the add-on scenery/scenery folder. And you should've started up FS9 after adding the BGL to the add-on folder. While FS9 is running, it won't accept new airports.

For the second one, paint.net and Gimp, both very good image editing software, free, should be able to do the trick, all tho, it's been a while since I used them.

Dam' Sorry for not answering before now, haven't had time trying everything out yet.

Anyway, both Gimp and pant.net failed to open the .bmp-files, i think they arent usual .bmp-images but used by some sprites-/tiles-/texture-manager.

Hm, going to try AFCAD on the airport now, thanks for the anwer!

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the bmp files are probably DXT format. youll need a program called DXTBMP to reformat them to 32bit so you can edit them then you can leave them 32bit or format them back to DXT

Posted
Posted
the bmp files are probably DXT format. youll need a program called DXTBMP to reformat them to 32bit so you can edit them then you can leave them 32bit or format them back to DXT

Heh, was just going to post that i foud a program that can open the files, and that was the one!

Well, thanks for the quick answer

Yes, DXTBmp from http://fly.to/mwgfx/ worked great, but the "HD" textures looked awful (probably because of the half resolution)

Anyway, thanks for the help with that one, now only the airport to go

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg