You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 w/Squawkbox "vanishing".

Brian Knoblauch 1155119

Brian Knoblauch 1155119
Posted
Posted

I've had this happen a couple times recently. No idea if it's hardware or software. I've been flying MSFS9 on this machine off-line for years and never had this happen. I've done a good handful of MSFS9 + Squawkbox flights with no issue too until recently. What happens is I'll be flying along just fine, and then all of a sudden, poof, MSFS and Squawkbox are both just no longer running. No crash report, nothing, just GONE! Other apps running at the time are unaffected. Any ideas on how to try and diagnose this issue?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

its called a crash to desktop, CTD.

can be caused by any number of reasons.

even if no error report pops up, you can pull one out usually by going to Control Panel on your desktop, then Administrative tools, then open event viewer. look for the error report.

it can be memory, it can be security, or any number of other things.

you can try running squawkbox externally aswell instead of from within FS, see if that helps

Brian Knoblauch 1155119
Posted
Posted

OK, thanks. I found 2 entries in the log at the exact time, unfortunately they're not terribly useful.

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6."