You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Looking for the perfect computer for FS 2004

Johnny Guarino 1086653

Johnny Guarino 1086653
Posted
Posted

Hey everyone! My names Johnny and I'm currently looking to buy a new computer. I would like to buy a computer that can handle FS2004 with addons (ex. Real Environment Pro REX, Active Sky, Payware planes and scenery's FSdreamteam, imaginesim and much more) with amazing frames and looks but without having to pay the big bucks for the I7 or super computers (which i might even have to do... Computers aren't my specialty). I like using FS2004 over FSX due to all the addons available. With that being said I don't want to buy a computer with way more power than I need (like a I7). I'm not very good with computers so I'm not sure what would be good for me. If someone could help me out that would be great

Thank you so much,

Johnny Guarino - 1086653

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Anything with a good processor, memory, and video card is good on my book. FS2004 can pretty much run on a modest system, but if you're planning to invest a lot on your computer, you might as well take FSX (or you can have both).

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
With that being said I don't want to buy a computer with way more power than I need

actually, i highly recommend you try and get the most bang for your buck. it will help in the long run, not only for FS9, but should you get another in the future, that way you dont have to upgrade for a long time otherwise you may get something thats good now, but a few months or a year from now you may find you need to do another upgrade

Johnny Guarino 1086653
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the help! What would be the best place- website to order and buy one from? The highest I'm looking to spend is $1000- $1200 and no more. I'm familiar with cyberpower pc's but I'm not sure if there are any cheaper companies or ways to cut down the cost as much as possible.

Thanks again,

Johnny Guarino- 1086653

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

building it yourself usually cuts the price down

if you arent comfortable doing that, can search around, do your homework before buying tho, try not to impulse buy.

Newegg.com is one place i like

Alienware i hear good things about

Jetline systems is another.

check locally aswell, you may find deals on at a local PC shop, even with a custom PC

with that budget tho you can get a real good system that will smoke FS9 for sure, possibly FSX aswell

Johnny Guarino 1086653
Posted
Posted

Could you run FSX great with addons on an I5 or would you need an I7 for the task? (as you can tell im not good with computer so building would be a bad idea) LOL

Johnny Guarino- 1086653

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Which country are you in?

At this point even the i7 is old news you can get a 2nd gen i7 for the same price. I do not recommend you buy anything for FS9... the only reason they still release anything for FS9 is because 3dsmax/gmax doesn't really care where the scenery ends ups. Otherwise most software these days relies on whats under the hood of FSX...

Johnny Guarino 1086653
Posted
Posted

United States

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

1. 2600K Intel CPU

2. X68 Motherboard

3. 4 Gigs of RAM.

4. Nvidia GT560

5. 500-750 watt power supply.

Those are the items I'd be looking for. I recommend you build it yourself. It's actually easier than ever these days. Just pickup a decent Corsair Hydro Cooler and that it's. Not only do you get water cooling but you get another 1ghz out of the Intel chip.

MIght sound counter intuitive but the Corsair with it's simple motherboard backplate and screw design is a lot easier to install than the stock intel fan. I normally shy away from telling people they must build the machines themselves but now that there is no risk in bending pins with the Corsair models, so it's really a no brainer. It's a nice skill to have since in the last 20 years the only thing that has changed is the power harness.

Johnny Guarino 1086653
Posted
Posted

Ill defiantly look into it! This should all cost around $1000 right?

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Yup.. they even had an Ibuypowerpc on newegg for under 1100. Either way it's a good time to buy as intel doesn't plan on releasing anything more powerful for another 6 months at least.

Johnny Guarino 1086653
Posted
Posted

alright sweet. Ill most likely end up getting one off newegg they have some good deals. Thanks everyone for the help

-JG

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Looks very good indeed. You should have no problem running FSX and you will certainly kill FS9 with that machine.