You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

GPU fan manual settings

Charan Kumar

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I have recently started tweaking my computer settings and using a GTX 465 card at slight increased memory settings, I have noticed something. Other than the fact that FSX promptly crashes when running into payware scenery or high tfc (read as in two more planes), the most noticeable is the temperature rise, which is expected.

To put in perspective, I ran the card at 770mhz instead of the stock 625 (I think) and a memory clock speed of 1800 (now I wish I knew exactly whatchamacallit). The GPU fan, when left in auto, never crosses 45% but the card heats up to like 80 deg C. Of course, not wanting to burn it out, as yet, I manually adjusted the fan speed to 70% and the card ran at a steady 69% at times peaking to 71%.

My qn is, is it safe to run the GPU fan at such high speeds constantly? What are the implications?

The system config, C2Q 9400, 8GB DDR2 RAM, MB nVidia 750sli, GTX 465 1GB GDDR5 and GTS 8800 512MBDDR3. I just installed a Corsair H50 for cooling but the system is primarily open box as it sits inside a closet which is much warmer than the rest of the house, but much hotter the last 2 days with the slight increase in temps in the CA Bay area. FSX runs on the monitor connected to the 465 and another monitor to the 8800 runs the rest of the programs.

Your help is always appreciated!!

Cheers!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Should be. They have a thermal protection at 105*C which will lower it's speed to maintain that temperature.

You should make sure your PC case has adequate ventilation so the hot air that the card exhausts (if it doesn't exhaust in the rear) gets routed out of the case before it starts ramping up CPU or PSU temperatures.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

EVGA has a freeware app called precision it'll allow you to OC the card as well as change the fan speeds.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Thx for the reply guys, I didn' t know it could go on till 105 deg C, that is good to know, not that I plan to use it . As I mentioned, the tower is open with an external 9" high speed fan facing into the tower which generates a lot of air.

Richard, I did use precision, and nVidiains both achieve the same purpose of adjusting the clock settings and the fan settings, either way the result is the good.

I shall run the fan faster then, thx for your kind answers!!

Cheers!!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

just saw the your other question. the only thing that constantly running your GPU fans on High will do is burn them out slightly faster.

Richard Gerrish

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Right...which I think is understandable. I do get a sim crash though, any time I spike 'em up and enter payware scenery area...i guess I have to go baby steps really

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

yup. getting a stable OC can be a royal pain. To save you FS crashes might try downloading the free version of 3dmark

Richard Gerrish