You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Controller of the Year Awards

Gerry Hattendorf 935415

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Sorry if this subject has been approached before, but it seems that to have a contest for the best controllers from each FIR/ARTCC would be/could be fun.

Each FIR/ARTCC could submit their best canidates, by category (i.e. Center, APP, TWR, GND, DEL) and allow the public to vote.

Most FIR/ARTCC's have their own feedback sites, but it would be fun to see "who's the best", as it inspires us to improve our skills, and to become better controllers knowing the feedback we get!

Just like the "Monthly Screen Shot Contest", polls could be established, and pilots can vote for their favorite controllers.

Hehe, just a thought!

Gerry

P.S. I submit the first vote to Center Contoller, Keith Smith!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Joe Mifsud 928114
Posted
Posted

I think it would be very cool too. The only problem is that not all pilots check the name (or, if your like me, remember them ) of the controller. This could make it a little hard to really get going.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

I'm actually not a fan of this idea. It really only makes sense to do this if the bulk of the voting population are familiar with ALL the candidates that are put forth.

ZLA gets a lot of traffic. ZBW gets a lot of traffic. ZNY gets a lot of traffic. Many, many ARTCC's get a lot less traffic than the places I listed. The controllers from ZLA, ZBW and ZNY, therefore, would have an unfair advantage, since they are, by definition, higher profile.

Thanks for the sentiment, though, Gerry!

Keith

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

Don't forget ZTL in there

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Well, what I'm thinking is not the FIR/ARTCC with the most traffic, or the ATC personel that staff the most hours. (I believe this was tried with the Iron Mike Award)

No "whos got the most hours logged, blah, blah", just who's the controllers that the PILOTS enjoy working with the most.

As an example, an excellent controller working a FIR/ARTCC is marked just as that. If you have good feedback from the pilots, thats good. If not then it's something the controller needs to know, so we can fix the problem, and make it better.

I'm just trying to suggest a single place where pilots can send their feedback for their experiences with ATC, (say a scale from 1 to 10) where we (as controllers) can evaluate our performance, in order to make VATUSA a more real and professional environment to fly and enjoy this hobby!

Respectively,

Gerry

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Joe Mifsud 928114
Posted
Posted

But still, as Keith said some ARTCCs get more traffic then others, so there would be more pilot comments from those areas, in theory at least.

However, you could make some sort of a website that provides a feedback form and ARTCC ratings from pilots! I think that would be very cool!

Speaking of the Iron Mike Award, has this been cancalled for good?

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
I'm actually not a fan of this idea. It really only makes sense to do this if the bulk of the voting population are familiar with ALL the candidates that are put forth.

ZLA gets a lot of traffic. ZBW gets a lot of traffic. ZNY gets a lot of traffic. Many, many ARTCC's get a lot less traffic than the places I listed. The controllers from ZLA, ZBW and ZNY, therefore, would have an unfair advantage, since they are, by definition, higher profile.

Keith

Plus your so darn good it would not be a competition really.

Tom Meyer 944876
Posted
Posted

Exactly what I was thinking.

Daniel Hart 817162
Posted
Posted

No need for awards! Anyone that controls any position is a winner in my book!

Dan

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

The best award one can receive while controlling here on Vatsim is a heartfelt "thanks for the ATC" when approving a change to advisory frequency

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted
The best award one can receive while controlling here on Vatsim is a heartfelt "thanks for the ATC" when approving a change to advisory frequency

I agree.

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted
Don't forget ZTL in there

Yes, lol, don't forget ZTL.

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Troy Autry
Posted
Posted

those simple words make controling on vatsim.. worth the time and effort it takes to become a controler in my book

Troy Autry

vZDV-C1/M

1504.png

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Keith

suckup. lol. but i was thinking that exactly. lol three years from now there will be three virtual plaques, all with keiths name on em lol.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Delivery person of the year?

LOL, sign me up!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg