You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 Unexpectedly Closing

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642
Posted
Posted

Of the past nine flights I have tried, FS9 has just closed on six of them. On the most recent one I was looking at the winds on the PERF PLAN page in the WILCO E-jets and as I was clicking through the waypoints, it closed.

What seems to happen is as I am clicking through something, FS9 just closes and leaves me staring at the desktop. Unfortunately, there are no error messages that come after it closes and it is leaving me scratching my head at what is happening.

Whats even more irritating is the fact this started after I bought a new computer and I can not seem to emulate the simulator closing, except for when I am flying online.

Here are the specs on my computer:

i7 960 3.20GHz

16 GB DDR3 RAM

1 GB nVidia GTX 560Ti

Windows 7 Ultimate

FS9.1

FSInn 1.3 and FSCopilot 1.7

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks Nehal

9515.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Everytime FS9 has closed on me without me exiting I have gotten the famous Microsoft Message. "XXX (in this case FS9) experienced a problem and closed. Do you want to send a report to Microsoft?" Farther along in the window is a link to "Details of the Report".

I never send the report because I don't think MS cares about FS9 anymore...or FSX for that matter...but I always look at the details to see what occurred.

Are you saying you don't get this message?

It also has a check box for "Restart FS9"

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642
Posted
Posted
Everytime FS9 has closed on me without me exiting I have gotten the famous Microsoft Message. "XXX (in this case FS9) experienced a problem and closed. Do you want to send a report to Microsoft?" Farther along in the window is a link to "Details of the Report".

I never send the report because I don't think MS cares about FS9 anymore...or FSX for that matter...but I always look at the details to see what occurred.

Are you saying you don't get this message?

It also has a check box for "Restart FS9"

Yes, sorry if it is unclear, I am not getting any message from FS9 regarding abnormalities when this occurs. As a result, it is much more difficult to figure out what is going on.

This problem occurs when I am clicking on something in the flight deck, and for some reason, FS9 minimizes to the task bar and closes leaving me staring at my desktop. Even when I check the task manager, FS9 is not running.

Thanks Nehal

9515.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

try and see if theres an error report in your admin tools.

go to Control Panel on your desktop, go to administrative tools, then open event viewer. see if theres a program error report for it

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately I can not seem to find any errors that pertain to FS9. Would it be possible that this is something to do with FS9 W7 64 and the Wilco E190?

Thanks Nehal

9515.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you want to check, try using a different aircraft, see if it still happens, if it doesnt and only happens with the wilco, then yea itd be a problem with the addon

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642
Posted
Posted
if you want to check, try using a different aircraft, see if it still happens, if it doesnt and only happens with the wilco, then yea itd be a problem with the addon

Hi Ernesto,

I will try that, however, this is an odd problem as I can not reproduce it offline or online while on the ground.

Thanks Nehal

9515.png

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Try a long flight offline first with the default acft and then online again with a default acft. Eliminate the acft as a problem.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

Nehal, I had the same type of problem, i was not using any payware jets or anything but i did get the crash to desktop without any error messages or anything. i emailed Microsoft support and the guy was nice enough to give me some troubleshooting steps even tough they do not support fs9 anymore. anyway you can try some of these steps. the first step seemed to work for me. hopefully you can resolve this.

Step 1: Rename the OLEACC.dll file to OLEACC.dll.old in Flight simulator 9 folder

1. Rename OLEACC.dll file to OLEACC.dll.old, which is located at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 folder

2. Launch the game.

Note: If the issue persists, then follow the step 2.

Step 2: Reset defaults in the Game

Reset Defaults resets the defaults to the baseline configuration that is most appropriate to your computer’s hardware and drivers. By choosing this option, any customization of keyboard and joystick [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments will be erased and replaced with the default options. If you have made changes to Flight Simulator 2004 and are now experiencing performance, graphical, or controller problems, then Reset Defaults is an excellent first troubleshooting step.

1. Click on Start,

2. Select Programs,

3. Select Microsoft Games,

4. Select Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004,

5. Select Troubleshooting,

6. Click on Reset Defaults.

7. Test the Game

8. If this does not works then in Troubleshooting option select Safe Mode instead of Reset Defaults.

Test the game. If the issue persists then try next step.

Step 3: Rebuild FS9.cfg file

1. Click Start, click Run, type %appdata%\Microsoft and then click OK.

2. Rename the FS9 folder file to FS9.BAK.

3. Start Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight.

4. Test the Game.

Restarting Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight rebuilds the configuration

Test the game. If the issue is not resolved, please try the next step:

Step 4: Restart your computer using clean boot procedure

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note: - You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.

1. Click on Start, click on Run. In the Run box, type, type msconfig, and then click OK.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box and click on Disable All.

4. On the Startup Tab, click the option “Disable All”

5. Click on Apply, then click on Close, and then click on Restart.

Now test the game.

Disable any antivirus or system security software (MacAfee, Norton, AVG, etc.). Also, if you have any third-party software installed for video performance or refresh rate optimization, please disable that software. Then test the game.

After trying all the steps, start your system in normal mode.

To return to normal mode:

1. Click on Start, click on Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. On the General tab, click on Normal Startup, click Ok and then restart the computer

Step 5: Un-install internet Explorer

1. Click on Start and go to Control Panel,

2. Open Add/Remove Programs

3. Locate and select Windows Internet Explorer 8 in the list of installed updates. If Internet Explorer 8 is unavailable, remove Internet Explorer 7. Remove both.

5. Then click on Uninstall button. Click on Yes when asked that are you sure want to uninstall the update.

6. Restart the computer and test the game.

After we un-install Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 6 becomes your default web browser automatically.

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642
Posted
Posted

Hi Dan,

I just did a flight that was 01:46 long, and it went smoothly. I completed step one and it seemed to work. However, I did find that I was running FSInn as an administrator, against the sticky, and changed that too, but I do not think that was the issue. I am going to fly some more flights to see if it is resolved

Finally, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to post that comment, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Nehal

9515.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if FSINN was running as admin (from the properties) then itd definitely cause a crash, normally would get an error report tho

Nehal Kanetkar 1068642
Posted
Posted
if FSINN was running as admin (from the properties) then itd definitely cause a crash, normally would get an error report tho

Hi Ernesto,

Oddly enough I did not get an error report from FSInn. Regardless, I did a flight this morning, and once again, everything was normal. Later this week I am going be doing some longer flights to insure everything is working properly.

Once again, I would like to thank all of you that helped me, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Nehal

9515.png

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted
Hi Dan,

I just did a flight that was 01:46 long, and it went smoothly. I completed step one and it seemed to work. However, I did find that I was running FSInn as an administrator, against the sticky, and changed that too, but I do not think that was the issue. I am going to fly some more flights to see if it is resolved

Finally, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to post that comment, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Nehal

no problem, you can also try running fs9 WITHOUT fsinn running and see what happens.

• 1 month later...
Joseph Gilbert 928381
Posted
Posted

Ernesto,

Can I tell you that I flicked my screen atleast 3 times before I realized how dumb I am? HAHAHA

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

another victim falls!!!

all hail Anty!!