You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

rejected take off

Karan Singh 998398

Karan Singh 998398
Posted
Posted

was taking off from VOTV rwy 32, flying the LDS767. Starterd with 60% power, then pressed the N1 button below the A/T. After reaching about 90kts, the RTO applied brakes and the aircraft came to a halt just before the halfway mark.

My question is when does the RTO kick in, and does it work suddenly even in real life...?

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

I believe that the RTO kicks in when the throttle is set to idle.

Normally on takeoff though, you don't press the N1 button.

New York ARTCC

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

It could be caused by incorrect temperature data in FMC vs Weather in FS. Use TO/GA for take off or manual throttle up!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Normally on takeoff though, you don't press the N1 button.

While I'm not typed in the 763, the normal procedures for "Takeoff" lists:

Throttles ..........................................Advance to 70% N1

A/T ..........................................Arm and engage N1 mode

To the OP, the RTO system is discussed in the LDS 767 manual. Just search the PDF for "RTO".

What are you using for throttle(s)?

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

I've never seen the N1 button being pressed, but ok^^ mea culpa

New York ARTCC

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

I've actually experienced this several times in the Level-D. Increase thrusts, then engage N1 (like you), after around 80kts, RTO suddenly kicks in, and I never could figure out why (didn't really feel like researching the issue). So after 2 RTOs in a row, I just disabled RTO the next time around.

This'll be interesting to follow.

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

In deference to LDS...

I would check your hardware calibration... Other than that, I'd recommend heading over to the LDS licensed user's forums. There are a few topics surrounding RTO's in the Product Support and Pilots Helping Pilots forums... Just search for "rejected".

Good luck!

Cheers,

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Put your hardware throttles full forward as the AT kicks in.

Also, can anyone verify how TO thrust is used in real life? LDS gives me the impression that the 767 lacks a TOGA button on the throttle, and instead has a GA button in front of it, and the N1 button is used for t/o.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

This is correct for the 767. No buttons on the throttle itself.

I'v seen a few of the worldairroutes dvd's with 767 flights and they all have the PF pushing throttle to about 50%, taking the hand off the throttle to press the N1 button on the FMC, and then placing the hand on the throttle again once the Autothrottle has taken it up to takeoff thrust.

For FS, you will need to have the hardware throttle you use (the one you push around with your hand) in either full forward or full back and not getting any callibration 'spikes' shortly after the EPR/TO/whatever button is pressed. This is the case in the LDS767, PMDG MD11 and Leonardo MD82 as if you push your throttle to 50% then press the autothrust takeoff mode and leave your hardware throttles at 50%, as soon as the takeoff power is set (or when throttles return to CLAMP mode in MD82/MD11) then the Flightsim will see the 50% thrust and reduce the thrust to this level and... rejected takeoff.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

Mere speculation but RTO may have kicked in because you weren't spooled up p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing through 80-90 knots.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

Or another alternative is to manually increase power to the desired N1. But Trent is correct, once it has reached the desired N1, it will default to the throttle position.

955672.png

Marc  Moskovitch 1180169
Posted
Posted
This is correct for the 767. No buttons on the throttle itself.

I'v seen a few of the worldairroutes dvd's with 767 flights and they all have the PF pushing throttle to about 50%, taking the hand off the throttle to press the N1 button on the FMC, and then placing the hand on the throttle again once the Autothrottle has taken it up to takeoff thrust.

For FS, you will need to have the hardware throttle you use (the one you push around with your hand) in either full forward or full back and not getting any callibration 'spikes' shortly after the EPR/TO/whatever button is pressed. This is the case in the LDS767, PMDG MD11 and Leonardo MD82 as if you push your throttle to 50% then press the autothrust takeoff mode and leave your hardware throttles at 50%, as soon as the takeoff power is set (or when throttles return to CLAMP mode in MD82/MD11) then the Flightsim will see the 50% thrust and reduce the thrust to this level and... rejected takeoff.

That is not true.

My joystick is about 5 - 6 years old and the throttle has "spikes" where I will live it at one level yet the throttles bounce around. My MD11 doesn't RTO when I press the AUTO ... You have to physically pull your throttles down.

On topic, I think you should just do a manual take off or google the problem

pmdg777d.jpg

Karan Singh 998398
Posted
Posted

even my joystick is experiencing spikes. Due to this it had a RTO.

Now, I do take the N1 above 90% then press the N1 button, otherwise it always rejects the take off!

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Create a null zone at the top of your throttle (I do mine through payware FSUICP, others may have different methods)

Also create one at the bottom of the throttle range.

This way, full forward throttle, and full aft throttle positions will produce no input from the throttle.

Adjust this null zone to as big as required so that any spikes don't do anything.

On takeoff advance throttles a little to 50%, then press your TOGA/autothrottle as appropriate and immediatley and quickly move your throttle into the upper null zone.

Leave it in this zone for the whole flight till you are on decent and take manual control of the throttles.

This should work well for PMDG LDS Maddog etc.

May be less useful with Airbus type aircraft.

With PMDG MD11 it's even easier. Arm VERT PROF and select Autoflight once to arm the TO/GA mode.

push throttle up till you hear the click, then push to full forward. From the click onwards the TOGA Autothrottle is armed, and as long as you have the throttle full forward by the time CLAMP mode comes up, you'll be fine.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015