You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How does FSX run on your machine?

Brendan Chen 943434

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

Up to this point, I have been using FS9 and am very happy with it. But unfortunately, some of the good and even better addon packages are designed for FSX exclusively, which means if I was going to use them, I must have FSX running good.

Now I tend to expect my FS to run smooth (otherwise it can get annoying), and under any and all conditions, my FS9 runs at steady 30FPS (capped). My current setting on FSX with the online tweaker and SP1 and 2, I can get it to run PMDG 748i with addon scenery at about 15-19 FPS, which is too low for me.

People say it's not too bad, so I'm just interested to find out, what you guys (FSX users) get out of your machine (with addons) with specs of yours, and whether it's been overclocked, also whether you have applied any tweaks to your system to achieve your frames?

Like I said above:

SIM: FSX SP1 + SP2 (no Acceleration)

TWEAK: Online tweaker (ventubo from memory) only

Addon: PMDG 748i + Orbx YBBN (or UK2000 EGLL)

FPS: 17-19 (or 12-17)

CPU: i7 950 (from memory) - no OC

GFX: NVidia GTX480

RAM: DDR3 8GB

If you can give me some indications on your performance, that would be much appreciated.

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

All I can say is there is something very wrong with yoru setup. I have an i5 rig and have 30fps locked and achieved.

I use

PMDG 747, PMDG Md11, Capn sim 757, Ifly 737, etc

FSX Acceleration.

UTX

ASE

REX

Horizon Photoscenery UK

Numerous Aerosoft addon airports.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted
All I can say is there is something very wrong with yoru setup. I have an i5 rig and have 30fps locked and achieved.

I use

PMDG 747, PMDG Md11, Capn sim 757, Ifly 737, etc

FSX Acceleration.

UTX

ASE

REX

Horizon Photoscenery UK

Numerous Aerosoft addon airports.

Wycliffe

Hmm... Well I see a good side out of that, at least I know there are more my system can do...

Does "Acceleration" make a difference? And did you have any OC and tweaks applied for your rig?

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Acceleration is just an addon pack you can buy for FSX, It contains all of the SP1 and SP2 updates for a standard FSX installation. You dont need acceleration if you have SP1 and then Sp2 installed.

My i5 is the new Sandybridge chip on an Asus motherboard it has a step up feature for overclocking basically it auto overclocks when the load is such it requires it. It's invisible so unless I run CPU load monitoring software all the time I'm not going to see it.

I have no tweaks, just a normal fsx.cfg file.

One thing I will say is high FPS is all about how you have your settings in FSX, there is no point having all sliders fully to the right if you fly at 33oooft all the time.

Also make sure you have anisotropic filtering chekced in the sim and not in the gfx card software and dont use Direct X10 preview its just not worth the h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Michael Garrett
Posted
Posted

I use a dual core, 3 GHZ machine. 4 gb ddr3 ram, and a nvidea gtx250 card. no overclocking etc.. and i am able to hit anywhere from 25-75 FPS depending where i am.

Toronto city center airport, i achieve about 25 fps , same in vancouver. other less dense areas are higher.

not maxed sliders, but still pretty decent!

windows 7 64bit too. just swtiched over last 2 weeks. works fine. and i use dx10 preview too.

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted
I use a dual core, 3 GHZ machine. 4 gb ddr3 ram, and a nvidea gtx250 card. no overclocking etc.. and i am able to hit anywhere from 25-75 FPS depending where i am.

Toronto city center airport, i achieve about 25 fps , same in vancouver. other less dense areas are higher.

not maxed sliders, but still pretty decent!

windows 7 64bit too. just swtiched over last 2 weeks. works fine. and i use dx10 preview too.

Gee, dx10 on and you achieve that!? With DX10 on I drop about 5 frames, so PMDG 748i out of orbx YBBN I get about 12-15FPS... My sliders are only about medium-high range... Some are up there, some remains about the middle.

And somehow I find moving the sliders don't help all that much, I know many might strongly disagree, but this is just my observation. MB wise I have Gigabyte X58A-UD7.

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!