You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First Flight on VATSIM

Paul Nicholls 987174

Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Hi Folks

Right don't laugh

I've been a member on vatsim for quite some time , but I've yet to fly online.

I've been reading through the forums reading about peoples experience on vatsim & the many procedures , but i've never had the balls to get online & try it out , I've had FS2000 straight through to fsx , I have saitek yolk & pedals , loads of other Flight planning software , so Ive spent quite a bit of money on this hobby (more of an addiction).My favorite plane that I fly is the PMDG MD-11 & the level-d 767 .

So tonight i'm going to say feck it i'm going online & I'm wondering if any folk out there would be willing to join me just to guide me if I get lost . Can anybody recommend a good airport to start out from, I was thinking of doing about a 2 hour flight .My home airport is Dublin (EIDW). Thinking of 8pm GMT think thats 7pm zulu ,could be wrong newbie here . So if any body any suggestions or would like to tag along other first timers also very welcome to join in , the more the merrier .

Thanks

Paul

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul,

I was not expecting someone with your "old" VATSIM ID to not have been online yet . I will be controlling in UGGG this evening since we are celebrating VATSIM's 10 years.

Here is the info in case you want to join:

http://www.vateur.org/files/VATEUD%20event%2010%20years.pdf

I can be on Teamspeak to help you out in backstage. The flight today is exactly the two hours (UGTB-LTAI) you are looknig for. But... it starts at 1730z (although it tends to get a bit delayed, so...)

Otherwise I can be online later and we can do this somewhere else.

Send me a PM.

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Hi Miguel

Thanks for the reply , Count me in .

Quick question which leg is it ???

I've been trying trying to find it in the pdf you posted but I cant find it ??

cheers

Paul

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Yesterday was UAAA-UTTT-UGTB.

Today it's UGTB (Tbilisi/Georgia) to LTAI (Antalya/Turkey).

Miguel

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Hi Miguel

Nearly there , Just getting a few things sorted , just trying to figure out the difference between UGGG & UGTB

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

UGGG - Georgia FIR (named Tbilisi after its capital) - the airspace. Official name: "Tbilisi Control"

UGTB - Tbilisi airport - capital city airport.

As for the destination:

LTAA - Ankara FIR - the airspace

LTAI - Antalya - the airport

Miguel

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Alas

I never made it online , but not for lack of trying , For some strange reason the PMDG MD-11 didn't like either UGGG or UGTB when imported into the FMC , I used both FSC & FSBUILD , the FMC acknowledged the arrival airport but not the departure airport , Had me confused for a couple of hours. So close'

Any ideas with the above problems would be greatly appreciated

Next time

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul,

Thought you might be interested in this. There is a ZLA event today (sunday) along with a side event for GA and newbies. Pick up your default 172 or other GA aircraft and join us all, as there will be plenty of first timers around. You can even handfly it if you want and not worry about the FMC. ZLA has prepared a cheat sheet that you can grab here.http://www.fsbreak.net/storage/post-images/Bravos%20Event.doc . Print it out, keep it handy and go step by step, there is no rush just try it at your own pace.

• 1 month later...
Jon Wilson 1203582
Posted
Posted

Yeah i am glad that im not the only new guy here haha but i have a question cause i was going to get online tommorrow so can any body tell me how to get on the server and if you can you are welcome to fly with me and just to tell you im pro haha but i still need help getting on so if any body can help me just send me a message THANKS:)

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

There is always someone new...

Anyway, check out the PRC from the VATSIM page, it should be your first place to go for info on how to get online

• 2 months later...
Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Right folks

Tonight is the night , Going on-line for definite , Just need am origin and a destination , Will be flying the pmdg Md-11 (My Favourite)

So any suggestions , Much appreciated & It will be tonight

Sava  Markovic 1109329
Posted
Posted

Maybe fly into LIRF? There will be full ATC as I heard.

Sava Markovic

SCGvACC Events Coordinator

Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Flight Plan Filed for 10:00pm EIDW - LIRF , Put remarks in post BEginner , First Flight

Paul Nicholls 987174
Posted
Posted

Well Folks

I did it , From EIDW to LIRF , Was great except for the landing could of been better , but hey at least I got off the ground, Only ran into one controller in London CTR but was mostly on Unicomm.

Was great fun

So where to next ???

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

take a world tour

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted
Alas

I never made it online , but not for lack of trying , For some strange reason the PMDG MD-11 didn't like either UGGG or UGTB when imported into the FMC , I used both FSC & FSBUILD , the FMC acknowledged the arrival airport but not the departure airport , Had me confused for a couple of hours. So close'

Any ideas with the above problems would be greatly appreciated

Next time

Hi Paul

I was just reading through this thread, and I noticed the above where you say you use FSC and FSBuild. Neither of these are vey good in my opinion and trying to cobble a flightplan together from them is only going to cause you problems..

I wonder do you try to import the plans into the PMDG FMC rather than input them yourself.

i notice your home airport is dublin, if I was you i would stick to the Uk for your first flights and get used to ATC etc. When i firsts tarted flying all I did night in and out was EGFF -EGKK, I did it until I knew the route backwards and then i did EGFF- EGPF.

In this way I got used to my aircraft the software and ATC. Helped a lot. UK flightplans can be just as complex as a longer route, but my main advice would be laern how to input flightplans yourself into the fmc, dont rely on importing a plan, first of all it may not be accurate. for toatal accuracy of UK flightplans try this its free. http://www.simsrd.myzen.co.uk/

And excellent little package, that I beta tested.

Welcome to VATSIM finally, blue skies.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks