You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CH yoke jumping

Darrol Larrok 1140797

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I have a CH Flightsim yoke, and it seems to be 'bouncing' from forward to back when it is far forward or back. Anyway to fix this? The yoke itself isn't moving, the signal is.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

John Meinen
Posted
Posted

Hi Darrol,

How did you config your CH Yoke ?

You did this with FS or FSUIPC ?

Also don't use the manager from CH.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

It's calibrated with CH manager. It looks like I need to clean the pots though. What's a pot in this context?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

That's referring to the Potentiometer(s) that take input from the physical movement of your yoke and feed it to your PC to be read by the software. They look like rotary knobs or shafts that spin about an axis and connect somehow to the yoke itself, so that it spins when you turn/pull the yoke.

Cleaning them requires dis[Mod - Happy Thoughts]embly of the yoke to get at them, and application of an alcohol based solvent. Electronics stores sell stuff specifically labeled for use on Pots but I'll be there are cheaper home remedies.

They get worn out and "scratchy" over time with use. When the pot is used for an Audio control of some kind, this scratchiness is really obvious because as you turn whatever knob the Pot is connected to, you can hear scratching or popping in the speakers, and the audio may quiet or go out completely at certain knob positions.

If a cleaning doesn't resolve the issue, you may consider replacing the Pots altogether. You'll probably need to know how to solder a bit and have some comfort with taking apart/re-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]embling electronics.

Of course doing any of this will void a warranty if you still have one.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Before fix the potentiometer, due to it is a special 90° pot (not the common 270° pot), not normal available in a shop for sale. As well the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]embly of CH yoke is possible for a well handy person, but require some care to put all details in order and test before finally [Mod - Happy Thoughts]embly screws. Find first out if it is the potentiometer or an other issue.

Switch the axis [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment (e.g. switch Elevator/Throttle) to see if the problem follow the physical pot.

Also you may try to calibrate by move the yoke say 80% of span (i.e. not to the full end position) while calibrate, this could possible avoid the start and stop end problem.

I did have one bad potentiometer in CH yoke. Since I could not replace with a new, It took me long time to find out that it was during production of pot, one of the rivet in the pot did not have full contact with the pot-path, only bad connection while sold in the circuit board.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png