You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Squawkbox and FPS

Greg Branch 962932

Greg Branch 962932
Posted
Posted

I know this has probably been beatin to death over the past few years, but unfortunately a search resulted with nothing. I have been bouncing back between FSINN and Squawkbox trying to find the best suited program, for the smoothest flight. I prefer FSINN, mainly because of the flight planning features and the ability to see aircraft further than 10 miles (strobes) compared with Squawkbox.

The issue I am having is FPS, just like everyone else I'm sure running FSX. I have a pretty decent machine.

Dell XPS8300

Intel i7-2600

ATI HD6700

8GB Ram

Experimenting around with the tweaks I have found has proved some results and can fly most of my aircraft at 60FPS (locked) with no stutters. This includes most payware aircraft I have with the exception of the Flight1 Mustang, which bogs me down pretty good.

The issue I am having is I can be flying along at 60FPS land, then connect with Sqawkbox and all of a sudden I am at 20FPS stable, while being locked at 60. This doesn't make much sense to me.

My question, is there any known issues that would cause this in both FSINN and Sqauwkbox, and if so, how do I resolve it?

Thanks for the help.

Not running Squawkbox.

30.png

Running Squawkbox but not connected.

20.png

Greg Branch 962932
Posted
Posted

Did a little more investigating. Using FSINN, the FPS stays where it should be until I connect to Vatsim... ANY ideas?

All ports are open that should be, I believe... No firewall or antivirus are in the way.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

once you connect theres other factors that come into play, you can have 100fps offline but the minute you connect they will go down depending on many things. lag, and other connection issues can be the main culprit

Greg Branch 962932
Posted
Posted

Ernesto,

Thanks for the info. It just seems quite odd to me that it sticks on 20FPS and doesn't move. Every now and then I will get a jump but it comes right back to 30.

Could this be some type of port that I am missing, or something being blocked? I guess I don't understand the correlation of a internet connection effecting the frame rate to that degree. I understand if there are other aircraft in the area or something of that nature. This test was at Seattle with no other traffic in the area.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

It is probably more simple than that. Both pilot clients draw on top of fs. If you run sb as a stand alone programme from the start menu do you still see the same big fps drop?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Greg Branch 962932
Posted
Posted

Norman,

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried that but also I have deleted Squawkbox and am using FSINN currently. I could switch over and give that a try if you believe it would help.

Thanks,

GB

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
lag, and other connection issues can be the main culprit

Considering that receiving a position packet and sending it into SimConnect are asynchronous operations, I doubt this very much.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.