You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX and SSD

George Sansom

George Sansom
Posted
Posted

Hi All

Sorry to the guys at Vatsim UK for a repeat post here.

I have just purchased all the equipment for a new build.

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Processor

Coolmaster case and 700W power supply

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

Nvidea GTX570 1280MB GDDR5 732mhz core 3800mhz clock Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

LG DVD±RW Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD - 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s - Read 535MB/s Write 480MB/s

Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache

I have got it all built and I currently have Win 7 64 bit on the SSD, nothing else.

I would really appreciate some advice before going any further.

Have any of you guys done anything similar, I was thinking of just putting the OS and FSX on the SSD and everything else on the 1TB HDD. If I do this would I also have to put all the addons onto the SSD or would they run on the 1TB HDD?

Anyone see any problems with this?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

George

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

Your plan is exactly what I did two weeks ago with my last build. It works out really well. 60GB is cutting it really close. I don't know what the usable space on 60GB drive is, but my 120GB SSD had 111GB usable. After installing Windows 7x64 and FSX, and my add ons, I'm up to 50GB used on the SSD.

I don't have that many add ons: GEX, REX, a few planes. But I plan on adding a lot more scenery in the future. As you can see, 60GB doesn't give you much overhead.

That said, stuff does load very quickly. Perhaps not as quickly as the SSD is capable of, because a lot of your initial loading in FSX is auto generated stuff, so it's not hard drive limited necessarily. Still, it's much much faster than my old machine, and with these add ons I can click Fly and be in the cockpit in less than 2 minutes, and that's after loading TWICE for time sync purposes.

A lot of the add ons can be installed at least partially on your 1TB drive. REX for example, can be installed on the 1TB, and will only load the requested textures over to the SSD, leaving the bulk of the install on the conventional drive. GEX can be told to output its backup file into a separate drive too, so a lot of add ons let you customize exactly what is being put on the SSD.

My PC system is so similar to yours it's scary. I went Nvidia 560, and I didn't get a K model CPU. If you overclock, I'll be interested to see what performance boost you get for your effort. I don't trust myself with overclocking, so I didn't even bother.

George Sansom
Posted
Posted

Hi Anthony

Many thanks for the reply.

I have decided against installing FSX on the SSD.

I am just going to keep the OS on the SSD.

I have installed FSX on the 1Tb HDD and it is working just fine, so far I have only loaded the iFly 737 and it works beautifully, the graphics are amazing and I'm getting just short of 100fps.

I'll be interested to see what the frame rates are like when I load GenX etc, as I have many add ons to install.

Once again, thanks for your reply, with hindsight I should have gone for a 120Gb SSD.

Regards

George