You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Switching Flight Sim to a new Computer

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I am about to take delivery of a new computer that will have the serious nuts needed to run FSX effortlessly. I am wondering if there is a painless way to transfer my FS9 and FSX setups from my present computer, thus keeping all my added aircraft, scenery, etc intact or do I have to start from scratch.

Thanks for any help

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Personally I think starting from scratch is a lot better idea than copying things over.

Starting from scratch you know exactly what's in there, and you know the boundary of your new machine as you add addons. I suggest only add what is necessary.

Also from my research, many people mentioned that you shouldn't carry over your setup files from previous sims, you should always do it from scratch. As your tweaks may work for your old machine, and it'll be a different story when you put it on a new machine.

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind that most payware also will need a reinstall due to different hardware.

So I would start over fresh as well.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Abdelrahman M. Elfeky 1044
Posted
Posted

You also need to read alot on how to tweak your FSX , coz even the best Rig in the globe can't run this software on high spec and with complex sceneries and airplanes models without losing FPS

Regards,,

s5_logo.png

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice. While laborious, I do see the great value in doing fresh installs as it offers an opportunity to do a little "housecleaning" and only install stuff that I am actually using.

I am aware that I still will not be able to run FSX wide open and that is okay. Moving from a 2.8 processor to a 3.8 with double the memory, a dedicated HD and a much better graphics card should give me a vast increase in framerates and perhaps allow me to inch up a couple complexity settings- and that will be improvement enough.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

You can buy a usb to usb cable that has the software inside it that will allow you to slave one hd to the other and easilytransfer piles of files. I got a new laptop a few months ago and it saved me a ton of work. I moved a lot of airplanes, less so on scenery, kind of started over on that one.

This widget costs about $20-30, I think, at Best Buy.

Kyle Ramsey

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Thanks Kyle.

The new computer arrived today and the docomeentation makes reference to an Easy Transfer Cable which sounds like what you are suggesting. I may use that to do some of the move.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Cool. Just remember this won't work on programs or executables, due to having to manage those within the registry, so they all have to be reloaded from original CDs. The add on files and docomeents move seamlessly.

The joy of a new PC!

Kyle Ramsey