You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Nvidia Graphic Cards

Stefan Petro

Stefan Petro
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I've posted here quite recently about the Nvidia 450 GTS. I have given up so I am going to buy a new graphic card mainly for FS9/FSX. The dilemma I have got is which one to choose..Nvidia 9800GT, 9800GTX or Nvidia 8800GT/GTX/Ultra? My specs: Windows XP 32bit, 4GB Ram DDR2, Intel Quad Core q6600 from 2.4GHZ to 3.15GHZ, Nvidia 680i LT SLI, 1000W PSU. What card would you pick to get good FPS in FSX with addons such as REX, PMDG-quality planes etc? Same thing for FS9.

Help much appreciated,

Stefan Petro

8125.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

my 550TI works pretty well for both FS9 and FSX

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hello all,

I've posted here quite recently about the Nvidia 450 GTS. I have given up so I am going to buy a new graphic card mainly for FS9/FSX. The dilemma I have got is which one to choose..Nvidia 9800GT, 9800GTX or Nvidia 8800GT/GTX/Ultra? My specs: Windows XP 32bit, 4GB Ram DDR2, Intel Quad Core q6600 from 2.4GHZ to 3.15GHZ, Nvidia 680i LT SLI, 1000W PSU. What card would you pick to get good FPS in FSX with addons such as REX, PMDG-quality planes etc? Same thing for FS9.

Help much appreciated,

Stefan Petro

The 9800GT and 8800GT series predate the GTS450, so you may not get better performance out of them. The GTS450 is roughly a year old, while the 9800 series is roughly 3 years old. The 8800 series is 4 years old. If you're adamant on one of those two series cards, get either one that is the GT (not the GTX or Ultra). You'll save a lot on heat and power used, and still get roughly 60 - 80fps with FS9. I had my 8800GT locked at 70, and got decently good performance, but don't use anything like REX or PMDG. FSX, I'm not sure on.

If you want anything in the GTX 400 or 500 series, I'd suggest to wait.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Brad: Just saying there is a lot to be gained by using the Asus reference over anything else including Nvidias. So if you do choose to stick with ATI, I'd still recommend the Asus. But when it comes to heat and power issues, anytime you have a new product like the i7 or Fermi you are taking a risk as an early adopter. I suppose the 460 was marketted as a solution to the heat problem and it was to an extent. The only problem I'm aware of Palit/Gainward forgot to mount power supply heatsinks on their first NA shipment. And given this "bug" only happens when the card is at it's peak power, I imagine the heatsinks were critical enough to warrant a recall. If you guys had a lawyer you'd all have new 500 series cards by now, as a court might decide Nvidia knew about the problem. Unfortunately I imagine some of you actually went out and just bought another ATI made by Palit/Gainward, in an effort to punish Nvidia.

Lot of smoke and mirrors for GPUs that's why long term I hope Intel wins out, that and every reference board would be made by you know who.

Stefan Petro
Posted
Posted

Sorry for late reply,

Yes I am aware that the GTS 450 is newer, but there is a known graphical issue with FSX and FS9 in the 4xx series cards. This leads me to buying, even though an older, but a better choice for the games. I do not play games such as Crysis etc, so I only play simulator based games. As for the GTS 450 so far it works like a charm on every game except FSX and FS9, because of all the shimmering and graphical anomalies. Before I had a 9800GTX+ by XFX and this worked beautifully in my current setup, but I just wanted to hear what you guys think. As for 550 or 560, how do they perform? Would they be better with my CPU? (Intel Quad Core q6600 at 3.15GHZ)

PS. I am not keen on ATI cards, as they do not co-operate with the Nvidia 680i LT SLI motherboards by XFX, because they're specifically made for Nvidia cards.

Thank you all,

Stefan

8125.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Sorry for late reply,

Yes I am aware that the GTS 450 is newer, but there is a known graphical issue with FSX and FS9 in the 4xx series cards. This leads me to buying, even though an older, but a better choice for the games. I do not play games such as Crysis etc, so I only play simulator based games. As for the GTS 450 so far it works like a charm on every game except FSX and FS9, because of all the shimmering and graphical anomalies. Before I had a 9800GTX+ by XFX and this worked beautifully in my current setup, but I just wanted to hear what you guys think. As for 550 or 560, how do they perform? Would they be better with my CPU? (Intel Quad Core q6600 at 3.15GHZ)

PS. I am not keen on ATI cards, as they do not co-operate with the Nvidia 680i LT SLI motherboards by XFX, because they're specifically made for Nvidia cards.

Thank you all,

Stefan

Then I would definitely say either 9800GT or 8800GT. Those will work wonderfully for you. Like I mentioned, I was still getting around 60-70fps, though I had it locked. Mine was the 8800GT 512MB. the 9800 series did go up to 1GB if not more, so that may work out for you better.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Stefan Petro
Posted
Posted

Thanks Brad,

I will go for the 9800GT or GTX, I shall see. It's just that I did not want to buy ahead as I bought the GTS 450 and then saw the negative reviews about it. I believe that the 9800 series are the best cards out there, even though they are older, still do their job quite well. For me, 60-70 FPS is awesome but I am fine with 25-30, but with REX and all addons on.

Once again thanks,

Stefan

8125.png