You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX Cry for Help!

Rodney Aylmore 944715

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

I've recently moved from FS9 to FSX.

So far I've installed FSinn as per the instructions, ASE, PMDG NGX and a few payware scenery.

I usually fly in window mode except for take-off and landing where i prefer full screen. Recently when switching from window to full screen all textures have been disappearing meaning all I'm left with is a black screen. I can change views and hear the aircraft but there are no textures anywhere. I can move the mouse around and see the click spots that i can not see.

I thought I had a work around yesterday by changing the time to force the sim to reload all of the textures however this didn't work when I tried it tonight and in any event will be annoying when i have to stop for 2-3 minutes on descent to change the time.

Any one have any ideas on why this may be happening?

Rodney.

Finn Hutter
Posted
Posted

Generally this is related to an out of memory style error that doesn't crash your sim but causes issues when you minimize, change from windowed to fullscreen, etc. There are some tweaks that *supposedly* fix it like the HIGHMEM fix but I cannot personally attest to ever having the issue myself.

Essentially that is an out of memory error, which doesn't surprise me with the PMDG NGX and some payware because it's pretty brutal on your system. Do you have the latest updates from their support forum? A SP1 should be out soonish which hopefully will address a few other issues.

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

I haven't got the hotfix yet as I was just going to wait for SP1.

I have 18gb of RAM so I doubt it can truly be out of memory. I think its an interaction between FSinn and FSX that is causing the issue.

Rodney.

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

In FS9 it happened with certain AA transparency settings enabled on graphics cards.

So that may be an area to look at.

f1cert.gif

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I usually fly in window mode except for take-off and landing where i prefer full screen.

I had similar black screen problems in FS9 trying to switch between modes. I ended up just always flying in windowed mode with the main window maximized, and side windows on side monitors.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't just do the same ... always fly in windowed mode with the window maximized. Why switch to full screen on approach?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I have 18gb of RAM so I doubt it can truly be out of memory.

Keep in mind that not all of your system memory can be used. FSX is a 32-bit process so it's limited to 2GB (3GB for SP2/Acceleration) in 64-bit systems, and your video memory is limited as well, depending on the card.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

• 4 weeks later...
Peter King
Posted
Posted

I would recommend FSX booster... its 9 euros and you can get it from simmarket..

im not that techy but it has done wonders for my fsx as I believe it sorts out memory leaks and shuts down un-needed processes..

I couldnt recommend it enough and for 9 euros.. its a steal

Pete King - REAL WORLD AIRLINE FLIGHT OPS GUY 

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
im not that techy but it has done wonders for my fsx as I believe it sorts out memory leaks and shuts down un-needed processes..

It can't do the former, and the latter is pretty much irrelevant on modern CPUs and Operating Systems. Idle processes don't consume anything important anymore.

While you can't squeeze blood from a rock, you can apparently make a decent living extracting oil from snakes when it comes to tweaking apps for Windows or FSX.

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I think eventually most people figure it out.. the developer is just as responsible for FPS as you are for hardware. But if you don't properly benchmark your software and rely on someone else to do it for you than you are going to have problems.

Simple settings like using "medium" global textures go along way in making a PMDG FPS friendly while trying to enjoy payware scenery at the same time. My favorite combination is PMDG + FlyTampa. Otherwise those Aerosoft/Carenado aircraft are great when you want to turn up the airport/scenery settings instead.