You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How do I set up a mike and or headset

Joseph Restivo 1208547

Joseph Restivo 1208547
Posted
Posted

On my Windows Sys 7 PC what is the best way to set up a headset or mike combo to be able to hear and send voice comm. Presently I use a head set for FSX to hear ATC better without the exterior noise, and I use a desk top mike for SKYPE. I would prefer a headset with a mike rather then using the desk top mike. How do I do this, and any info on available headsets would be appreciated. What setup do most of the Pilots use?

Thanks

newbe ress

Ress

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Hi Joseph,

You can buy a pretty good USB headset for around $25 at most major retailers. Plantronics has a number of great models. Most of us suggest USB headsets because you can route ATC through your headset and the rest of your sounds through your computer speakers.

Note that you can still file "receive only" on VATSIM so that ATC will be routed into your headset, just like you say you do for FSX. You just need to read everything back via text. Of course, having a headset will allow you to respond via voice, but don't let not having one right now hold you back.

Joseph Restivo 1208547
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the prompt reply,I will check out some headsets at my local stores.

ress

Ress

Joseph Restivo 1208547
Posted
Posted

Any good tips on what to look for or avoid in purchasing a good USB headset. Willing to spend up to approx $50 For a decent headset that is durable and comfortable.

Ress

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

Buy either Plantronics or Logitech and you will be fine. You can get a USB headset for about $20 or up to 200 dollars. The choice is yours but $50 will be great as a budget.

Wycliffe

Edited by Guest

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I've been using the Logitech USB 350 for several years now. I use and abuse (rolling over cord with chair, pulling cord too far sometimes, etc.) my headseat pretty often, at least 4x a week on average, and get about 1.5-2 years of life out of them. Sound clarity for transmit and receive are excellent, and they've been comfortable on my head for 8+ hour events. It's a discontinued model, but I love it so much I recently scoured the market for a couple more just to make sure I have some. Found a great price on factory refurbished here: http://www.egagroupusa.com/logitech-premium-usb-headset-350-stereo-w-microphone-980374-0403/ and bought a couple more to have in reserve for the next few years. Then I'll most likely go wireless, as the quality improves and price comes down. But in the meantime, I'm a fan of these. If you don't like refurbished and want new, they can be found on eBay for $20-25 shipped. Lots of makes/models out there, and lots of opinions to boot, but in my opinion, you can't go wrong with these. Agree with Wycliffe -- I have heard the best reviews about Logitech and Plantronics.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

I recommend USB since it is a specific sound card just for the purpose. I use this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-SL-8850-SBK-Vigo-USB-Soundcard/dp/B0042RUGLK

It has the mic/out jacks which allow you to choose the headset of your choice (as long as it uses jacks) and then simply connecting it to the "sound card".

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png