You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Monitor

Robert Bressert

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

I've got an old 19" CRT that has served me well, but it is beginning to show its age.

So, I am considering a new monitor, but, it's a little confusing. LCD? LED? Sizes? Response times? Backlighting?

What's best for gaming, or more precisely, what's best for flight simming?

Would anyone like to share a recommendation or a resource where I could compare from a reputable and unbiased website?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

LCD and LED both are good choices for gaming most LED screens are thinner, lighter and slightly more energy efficient. For both the faster the refresh time the better and it'll allow a cleaner look across the screen when things are changing quickly. personally i wouldn't get anything less then a 21.5" widescreen @ 1920 X 1080. Only other thing I can think of is LCDs tend to have issues with making a true black.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I'd stick to LED, I think the backlighting is an improvement for the color dynamics, not to mention a real powersaver.

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Are any brands better than others?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

I'm partial to Acer....best thing to do is hit the stores and compare them side by each

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted

I've got the same situation, having been using Proview 19'' CRT for almost 8 years...

I have change it to LCD 23'' Samsung B2330 1920x1080 Full HD and I am very happy now. Just a small remark - I have to get used to wide panels in FS.

I found another solution. I just use the old 1280x1024 windowed FS and the rest of the screen is for charts or chats

VATRUS Division Director, Supervisor

RU-CEN_FSS - CIS Central Asia FSS ("Asia-Center")

Email: director(at)vatrus.info

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Read reviews, check out warranties, etc.

Are any brands better than others?

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As far as reviews, I was told that many of the reviews are nothing more than another form of advertisement. If you google, "review monitors," or something like that, it's true, you get a lot of hits, but how do you know which are really true, unbiased reviews. That's why I asked initially, "Would anyone like to share a recommendation or a resource where I could compare from a reputable and unbiased website?"

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Try http://www.anandtech.com/ for reviews...I use two different sized Samsung monitor, but it was purely a choice of visual inspection and price. I try not to order them online unless I have seen them in person, but I was lucky to get mine at a store.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Reading the reviews (as well as the distribution of scores) on newegg isn't a bad idea, either.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

thanks!

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Newegg isn't bad for reviews. You get a variety reponses so try to pick up on the common gripes. I ussually don't google for "product review" i google for "product problems"