You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Lagging Issue

Sean  Findlay 1165616

Sean  Findlay 1165616
Posted
Posted

This is probably discussed already numerous times, but here goes:

On Vatsim, when I am on approach into a busy field/ busy night (like KDEN or LAX, etc) and there are a dozen aircraft preparing for dep, I get a whole lot of lag on final (slow down). I have cable Broadband (very fast), running Vista 32bit dual proc. (nothing else running), and usually no isses during moderate to light days, except when lots of traffic on the ground. If you have some tweeks I havent tried, I would appreciate them (tweeked FSInn settings a little i.e. peer to peer off, visible planes down to 5 and lowered some other options in FS). Would be nice to actually land problem free into busy airports instead of crossing fingers and hoping my wheels find the strip. All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks and see ya up there!

Sean

Zm36S.gif

UYv3m.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Sean,

It's probably a combination of many different variables so, as you probably already know, there is no one definitive setting.

For instance, I can fly the PMDG 737NG for FS9 in and out of Denver all day long with zero lag regardless of the number of planes on the ground.

Fly into JFK in the same weather conditions and every time a pilot logs in (AAA123 has joined your session, etc) my system will freeze for about 3 or 4 seconds.

Fly into Houston Hobby (KHOU - a freeware addon scenery) with absolutely no one within 60 miles of me and I still get lag, sometimes to the point that I can walk out and have a smoke as I wait for FS9 to catch up.

It's all related to settings, aircraft, scenery, weather, number of other virtual pilots in the area, ping rate of server you connected to, etc, etc.

One thing I have tried that seems to help is a game boosting program...little reluctant to name a specific one here so no one thinks I'm "endorsing" a product...that shuts down unnecessary applications on your computer so you have more "resource" for FS9 and your add-ons to access. Just google "game boosting programs" and I'm sure a ton of apps will pop up.

Cheers

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Sean  Findlay 1165616
Posted
Posted

Thanks Randy. Your response was right on the money. Since I have had the very same things happen to me, the "it depends" answer appears to be the correct answer. I will try your suggestions.

Sean

Zm36S.gif

UYv3m.png

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Reducing your viz range can help a lot too. Do you really need to see aircraft 40 nm away while on final? The system has to render and update each one every few seconds.

Kyle Ramsey

Sean  Findlay 1165616
Posted
Posted

I believe I lowered that as much as possible within FS settings (FS9), as well as in my FSInn. You are correct.

Thanks

Zm36S.gif

UYv3m.png

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Someone can chime in, but I don't think Server Ping would affect this at all, this, to me, would appear to be all server side client performance. I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that the Server only keeps track of who is where and nothing more. It shouldn't hold or push any type of livery or something big. I would guess you just get their CID, code of their aircraft, and their position. This should not affect anyone in any way unless that information was seriously delayed for whatever reason.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Reducing your viz range can help a lot too. Do you really need to see aircraft 40 nm away while on final? The system has to render and update each one every few seconds.

FS9 won't render MP traffic more than 10 miles away IIRC.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

The most important thing is to have models that use less that 50 polygons when you are far away and more when you are closer. If the models don't scale LOD you are going to have trouble. But setting the visual range should help at least in FSInn because you end up using less threads.