You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help with website programming

Aaron Schpitzer 1174936

Aaron Schpitzer 1174936
Posted
Posted

Is there a way to display how many people on the network are using my VA's callsign on my website. Similar to how on ARTCC/FIR sites they have a whos online thing. Thanks

CFC001.png

1174936, S3/P1

CZYZ FE

CZUL, ZNY, ZOB, ZBW Visitor

Canforce CEO

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Are you looking for something to incorporate into your web site or just something so you can see who is online? If you answer is the latter, you can try this: http://www.ookii.org/software/vatsimmonitor/

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Aaron Schpitzer 1174936
Posted
Posted

I want it for my VA's website, I wanna put it in the sidebar so it shows what pilots are currently in flight using our callsign on the VATSIM network. I'm just doing the website stuff now and getting it started. I havent installed PHPvms yet, I think I could so it through there but its a military VA, so phpvms is only good for the transport aircraft flights i think.

CFC001.png

1174936, S3/P1

CZYZ FE

Canforce CEO

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

The answer to your question is yes. You grab the current .txt file that has all the activity on it, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it for your callsign, and display it.

Can all be done via PHP or ASP.

Even better, you grab the data and store it in a database, then you can actually track their activity history as well.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Anyone willing to share their asp code for this?

I know I took a crack at it some time ago, but couldn't get it to work.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Might have better luck finding something in C# for ASP.NET

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Our site is in ASP.NET with VB, but I have worked with C# before and can convert it to VB.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Na, just wasnt sure you were working with older ASP or .NET, VB would be just as good.

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

If you want, I could give it a go when I get some spare time Marc,

I could send you a pure VB sample or an ASP.NET /w VB if you want.

Cheers!

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Currently using ASP.net w/ VB.

If you are wiling to take a crack at it, that would be great. Lots of examples for php, but finding resources for VATSIM stuff with ASP.net is not that common.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Well, PHP is the de-facto web programming language on VATSIM related sites from what I have seen, although there are some notable examples of websites that have done perfectly well using other languages,

As I said I'll give it a crack for you.

Cheers!

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Its not hard to see the logic in PHP for how it p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]s. It can be easliy tranlated to VB or any language you know well just by looking the logic.

Loops, variables, cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, parsing strings.. all should be understandable from any programming background.

Aaron Schpitzer 1174936
Posted
Posted

I got another problem now. Contact form doesnt wanna work. In the action I just put "mailto:[email protected]". Anyone have a link to a good turorial or able to explain how to make it send properly, thanks

CFC001.png

1174936, S3/P1

CZYZ FE

Canforce CEO

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
I got another problem now. Contact form doesnt wanna work. In the action I just put "mailto:[email protected]". Anyone have a link to a good turorial or able to explain how to make it send properly, thanks

Google a form mailer. You can't set an action to an email address.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
The answer to your question is yes. You grab the current .txt file that has all the activity on it, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it for your callsign, and display it.

One suggestion: VAs don't own callsigns. One is far better off keeping track of the PIDs of all your members in the database, and only highlighting those individuals whose PIDs match those in your database.

Even better, you grab the data and store it in a database, then you can actually track their activity history as well.

Absolutely!

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.