You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VA Callsign

Alan Cooke

• Board of Governors
Alan Cooke
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

My VA has just gained partnership with Vatsim. It is www.caalair.com

I have one question that I hope someone can answer for me. My pilot id is NIR???? and some of my pilots have had issues with controllers who said the callsign was too long. I then decided to have a voice callsign of REDHAND???? The problem i have now is controllers dont know it. I have asked my pilots to put VOICE CALLSIGN REDHAND in the remarks of their flight plan but is there a way to get it offical.

Thanks in advance

Alan

Alan Cooke VATGOV11

Vice President - Membership
VATSIM Board of Governors

[email protected]   

Do you have an account query check out FAQ

spacer.png9KMxVhG.png.e77dfe6e65703daa7a59178600611036.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

NIR too long? pretty much standard 3 letter code. maybe you have pilots using more then 4 digit flight numbers. should be around 7 characters max, including the designator.

so should be like NIR1234 not NIR12345

also note there are no leading Zero's in flight numbers. NIR0123 wouldnt be correct

if you have a fictional designator, like i do. put it in your remarks. eventually the more you fly in the area, the better theyll remember it. i use QEV, the spoken callsign is Mariner. the folks already have me memorized in my regular areas of flight and im the only one that pretty much uses the designator as i fly for myself

i just put

/Call=Mariner/

you can also use something like /OPR/Mariner/. i prefer to use "Call" myself, just makes it easier to understand for some

in my remarks and theyll normally see it, if they dont, theyll usually ask directly what it is.

you can also email the FIR/ARTCC's you are based at and give them the information. if they have a partners section they may also add it there for their controllers to see.

you can also email the folks at VATAWARE to try and add it to their database.

theres no centralized VATSIM designator list tho as VATSIM doesnt control that. you may find more then one VA may use the same designator sometimes, theres really nothing VATSIM can do about that, the VA's will just have to work that out when that happens.

• Board of Governors
Alan Cooke
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ernesto for your reply. I think the problem has been the zeros. The pilot that had the most trouble was NIR0063. I myself am NIR0001 but have never had a problem.

I will also send the emails you suggested. Thank you sir.

Alan

Alan Cooke VATGOV11

Vice President - Membership
VATSIM Board of Governors

[email protected]   

Do you have an account query check out FAQ

spacer.png9KMxVhG.png.e77dfe6e65703daa7a59178600611036.png

Blake Gray 841141
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I believe the callsign information in in the Vatsim regs; the shorter the better; but they cab have purpose!

DAL is Delta Airlines - well no virtual in there...

Using tactical callsigns is reserved for VSOAs (I am not 100% sure on this) I believe so you should check on that (IE "Redhand" is considered a tactical callsign and usually used in SUA's - Special Use Areas - also reserved for VSOAs - Such as Redhand1, Redhand2 meaning a group in formation etc).

Good Luck!

Blake

"Keep The Shiny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down !"

Live Streaming Simulators KSP, TKOM, FSX, ARK

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
Using tactical callsigns is reserved for VSOAs (I am not 100% sure on this)

Aside from those detailed within the Code of Conduct (basically callsigns that could be construed to be VATSIM staff), here are no reserved callsigns.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg