You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Now what do I do?

Adam Holt 1213535

Adam Holt 1213535
Posted
Posted

I got my VATUSA Account and it says I am an observer. Do I take tests and how can I observe? I would like to see how other people talk to each other so I don't make a fool out of myself on the network. I have downloaded FSCopilot and FSInn but I don't want to connect to the network just yet. My primary goal is to fly for a virtual airline. Now what do I do? Thank You for helping me

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Hi Adam,

Please have a look at the forum in other sections. There is a lot of information already regarding new users.

Basically:

1) read this: http://www.vatsim.net/prc and http://www.vatsim.net/atc/

2) choose your Home Artcc/vACC, normally related to the city you live in, but it can be anywhere you wish as your base.

3) you can start flying at once as soon as you have FSInn or Squawkbox installed (or both). You can also contact the Pilot Training Department of VATUSA in order to receive training whether for flying itself or to get help started with VATSIM.

4) if you also wish to control as an ATC, you must register yourself at that vACC/ARTCC and contact the ATC Training Department so that they can forward you to docomeentation and to the training programme.

Welcome.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

there is no pilot training department in VATUSA unfortunately (that i know of). would be nice to improve relations with its pilots like the other areas have done. its the one thing i wish would some day be developed in VATUSA, may even see an end to some of the stuff that has plagued the region lately (not a complete end ofcourse)

you can however do the rest that was mentioned above and itll help. if you want training, i'd recommend checking out the ZLA pilot cert program, itll help tons

http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

All official virtual airlines are listed here:

http://linksmanager.com/vatsimvas/

They should have a training programme as well.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
there is no pilot training department in VATUSA unfortunately (that i know of). would be nice to improve relations with its pilots like the other areas have done. its the one thing i wish would some day be developed in VATUSA, may even see an end to some of the stuff that has plagued the region lately (not a complete end ofcourse)

Why would we duplicate the efforts of the ATOs?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

who said ATO's have to be separate org's? any division/FIR/ARTCC etc.. that has its own pilot program can be an ATO if they choose to. VATUSA actually has a bit of an advantage over the other well established ones since it currently doesnt have one and can therefor create one (should they seek to start such) so it does fit in with the ATO scheme of things, where as the others have to adjust their programs to fit if they choose to go that route.

there are very well established pilot and controller communities all around VATSIM because of how close they work together, Brazil, Germany, and several others to name a few.

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Which is why Portugal vACC became an ATO in September this year. Able to provide training and the VATSIM ratings.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Which is why Portugal vACC became an ATO in September this year. Able to provide training and the VATSIM ratings.

Miguel

Easier for a smaller division that isn't subdivided itself. The ARTCCs within VATUSA don't really ... intermingle much. Feels more like >20 divisions within the VATUSA division.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i think thats part of the problem IMO. theres no sence of actual "community", just all doing their own things, throw pilots into that pressure cooker, its disaster just waiting.

doesnt have to be that way. yes VATUSA is large, doesnt make it impossible. easy, not by a long long shot especially at the current state but i think the folks in charge are starting to make changes happen. im seeing some of the old attitudes beginning to change some, which is a good start.

its like they say tho, anything worthwhile isnt easy

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Very well said Ernesto. Cooperation is key to having a nice environment. Pilots need ATC and viceversa. VAs can integrate with vACC/ARTCCs. Events can arise intermixing all of these ingredients.

Communicate people! Let's do things together. Otherwise, it's back to MSFS ATC which I can't even dare of thinking.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
who said ATO's have to be separate org's? any division/FIR/ARTCC etc.. that has its own pilot program can be an ATO if they choose to. VATUSA actually has a bit of an advantage over the other well established ones since it currently doesnt have one and can therefor create one (should they seek to start such) so it does fit in with the ATO scheme of things, where as the others have to adjust their programs to fit if they choose to go that route.

That's a valid point, but I don't see the need for ATC organizations to move into other areas until they get their own houses in order. VATUSA should focus on controller training first.

there are very well established pilot and controller communities all around VATSIM because of how close they work together, Brazil, Germany, and several others to name a few.

That's a fair point.

I had a puckish idea - I wonder if VATSIM would ever consider letting ATOs do controller training?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.