You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Plantronics MX500i will not play VATSIM ATC sound in headset

Jake Thomas 1195132

Jake Thomas 1195132
Posted
Posted

I recently purchased a Plantronics MX500i USB headset with DSP55 USB Adapter. I am running Windows 7 64bit, FSX, and FSINN.

When configuring in FSINN, FSFDT has the following settings under voice:

Microphone: Default Mapper

Headset: Default Mapper

Speakers: Default Mapper

ATC can hear my voice but I receive their voices through my speakers. When I change headset to either Wave (DSP55 Adapter) or DirectSound (DSP55 Adapter) ATC drops out and I cannot hear anything. Changing it back to default mapper brings it back through my speakers.

In Control Panel, my sound devices are 1. Speakers (DSP 55 Adapter) Default Communication Device and 2. RealTek Digital Output (Optical) Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device

What am I configuring incorrectly? How can I have ATC come through my USB headset?

Many thanks

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

set mic and headset to your USB device. then under volumes, make sure you check the volume levels for those under the volumes section. thats probably why you are hearing the sound go out but you dont hear anything, the volume needs to be adjusted for them

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Default mapper means the default setting in your Windows system. That is where the sound comes out generically (music, web, system sounds, etc).

When configuring sound to come in/out of particular devices you must configure that in each application. In this case, make sure you have something like "Wave - Plantronics USB adapter" defined as the device for input and output. You should have two: one for input ("Mic" or "Input") and the other for output ("Speakers" or "Headset").

Some people want to speak through the mic in the headset but listen in their speakers instead. Thus:

Input = Wave - Plantronics USB adapter

Output = Default mapper or Wave - Realtek onboard sound (or whichever name for the internal sound card the PC uses).

One more tip: confirm your mic is correctly callibrated, check the *recording* levels and don't place the mic too close to your mouth.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Jake Thomas 1195132
Posted
Posted

Here's what it turned out to be.

When changed from default mapper to the DSP55 adapter, another volume setting appears. I believe it is called soundcard volume. It will only appear when you choose the DSP55 adapter. You can adjust this, but it will snap back to 0.

I had to drag it to the very right and then it "snapped" to 143 and stayed there, which is acceptable.

This ended up being a software issue, just make sure that if you have problems with the headset that you leave the FSFDT config window open and watch the volume to make sure it doesn't snap back to 0.

Thank you everyone for your help.