You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Upgraded Graphics Card and Confused

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I have seen posts rot in here from lack of answers and I hope this is not the case in this instance.

I recently switched out my ATI Radeon Grahics 700 to an ATI Radeon 4550. Some will say here it wasn't enough, but it is better I believe and I cannot argue with the the price...it was free. My son moved up to the nVidia GTX560 on his system so I inherited his old graphics card, with installer disk, etc.

Here are the particulars of my system as it stands right now.

Gateway 825GM (purchased new in 2005).

Intel PIV Processor 550

3.4 GHz Processor, 800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache

1 GB DDR Dual Channel Memory.

Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP3

FS9.1

ASE with REX textures

Just in the couple of days I have had it installed, loading the drivers from the install disk, etc, etc. I have noticed my framerates are higher, even though I can now move some of the sliders to the right for better "eye candy". I have not max'd all of the sliders out, but have moved all of them up at least one or two.

The only issue I have seen that is "disheartening" are the taxi and landing light appearance at night. The Purple, Blue, and Green hues have replaced what I was seeing as "white" light. Even the ramp lighting is that "bruised" color.

NewLights.jpg

I am also seeing the Purple, Blue, and Green tint in the Cirrus Clouds

Any constructive ideas on what the Graphics Card upgrade did...or is doing...to change the way FS9 lighting is displayed?

Thanks

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Did you try looking for any newer drives from ATI?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

do a full uninstall of the driver and sweep your hd to be sure there's no trace left(dont remember the app name off the top of my head) then download and install the latest drivers from ATI and see if that helps

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Is your color depth in FS 16-bit or 32-bit?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

@ Darrol - No, I didn't. While my finances are by no means poverty level, my disposable income for hobbies is limited, which is why I jumped at the "free" upgrade. As much as I enjoy this wonderful thing called VATSIM I just cannot justify dumping funds into it unless absolutely necessary, especially so soon after the holidays when I tend to become the "Uber Giver" to my children and grandchildren. Oh wait, I just realized you said "drives" and probably meant "drivers", which would be a free download. No sir, I did not look for newer drivers, but will do so. Thanks for that tip.

@ Richard. Funny you should mention that. Before using the install disk and reading the install instructions there was a comment about making sure to delete all the old drivers before installing new ones. I honestly did not do that. I know, blatant disregard for the process. However, my reasons, I was concerned that if I removed all the old drivers before installing the new drivers, how would my graphics card work at all? I was afraid I would get a black screen and not be able to see anything on the monitor and then not be able to "go back" for a do-over. Computer ignorance is my forte...

@ Luke. I am reasonably certain it is 16-bit because the one detail I realize I forgot is that I am using a VGA monitor and after reading up on color depth I found that the max VGA is capable of is 16-bit. I have a new monitor coming from Newegg.com, but it hasn't arrived yet...LCD. Can I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it will be "more capable" and perhaps just wait until it arrives?

I thank you all for your posts and help. Right now I'm leaning toward Luke's direction for the problem/solution, but I also probably need to look at Richard's as well. T'would be nice if the manufacturers of these things would post "Install for Dummies and Overthinkers" instructions. Surely I'm not the first to worry about a black screen if all drivers are deleted before new drivers are installed.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
@ Luke. I am reasonably certain it is 16-bit because the one detail I realize I forgot is that I am using a VGA monitor and after reading up on color depth I found that the max VGA is capable of is 16-bit. I have a new monitor coming from Newegg.com, but it hasn't arrived yet...LCD. Can I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it will be "more capable" and perhaps just wait until it arrives?

Huh? You can crank 32-bit color through any video card released in the last 15 years, over an analog VGA cable. Crank the color depth up and the problem will go away.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted (edited)

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume from the ATI Catalyst Control Panel?

As for the 16-bit comment, I simply googled "color depth" cause I wasn't sure what you were talking about and somewhere in the article I read was a comment about VGA having a 16-bit limit, but I'll take your word over the article...anybody can post an article, wrong info or correct info.

Thanks, getting in to catalyst now to see what is what...wish me luck.

Randy

Edit:

Still there. Color depth set on (highest) 32-bit and latest drivers downloaded and installed from ATI. If someone can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure me deleting the ATI drivers and scanning for "leftovers" will not result in "no display" then I will try that and reinstall the latest drivers.

NewLights2.jpg

Thanks everyone for trying to help. You've no idea how I appreciate this.

Randy

Edited by Guest

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted
@ Darrol - No, I didn't. While my finances are by no means poverty level, my disposable income for hobbies is limited, which is why I jumped at the "free" upgrade. As much as I enjoy this wonderful thing called VATSIM I just cannot justify dumping funds into it unless absolutely necessary, especially so soon after the holidays when I tend to become the "Uber Giver" to my children and grandchildren. Oh wait, I just realized you said "drives" and probably meant "drivers", which would be a free download. No sir, I did not look for newer drivers, but will do so. Thanks for that tip.

Yup, I meant drivers. Graphics cards are not drives.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

@ Richard. Funny you should mention that. Before using the install disk and reading the install instructions there was a comment about making sure to delete all the old drivers before installing new ones. I honestly did not do that. I know, blatant disregard for the process. However, my reasons, I was concerned that if I removed all the old drivers before installing the new drivers, how would my graphics card work at all? I was afraid I would get a black screen and not be able to see anything on the monitor and then not be able to "go back" for a do-over. Computer ignorance is my forte...

not sure about ATI(nvidia guy myself), they may have an option in their installer to do a "Clean install" which should uninstall the current driver from your system(in theory at least) then install the updated driver. It wont do as good of a job as the drive sweeper(or whatever its called still can't remember ) but it's better then nothing

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume from the ATI Catalyst Control Panel?

No, in your FS settings. What screen resolution and color depth is set there?

Cheers!

Luke

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Success. I use 800x680 resolution to relieve the squinting of my tired old eyes, but I never realized there was a 16-bit and 32-bit setting for each resolution. Just never paid attention. It was set to 16-bit in FS. Changed to 32-bit and the problem is solved.

Many thanks, Luke, and everyone really who suggested things. I certainly appreciate it. Thanks again, Luke...

Now, if only I knew what this emoticon really stood for...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Randy,

Besides ZLA Pilot Cert I-11/VATCAN P1, you are now 32-bit compliant certified!

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

True that, Miguel...plus, my new monitor arrived and makes the panels so much easier to read (1366x768 resolution...in 32-bit I might add).

And, I've been playing with the anit-aliasing feature of the GC as well as the settings menu available within the monitor and I gotta tell you, FS9 has never looked this good to me ever. Just in case, I wrote down every one of the default settings I played with so I could return to default if necessary, cause default out of the box looked pretty danged good.

I took the Fravin C-150 on a jaunt out of my hometown to some dirt strips I know of in the area for real and they were all so much easier to spot from the air, set up a visual approach to, and land. Amazing. VFR has taken on a whole new meaning for me and I'm still getting 60 to 80 FPS. Time to play a little more with the FS9 sliders and go for broke.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Ok... now I'm envious!

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png