You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

METAR Update

David Bayyari 972916

David Bayyari 972916
Posted
Posted

Why does Euroscope take half an hour past the reported METAR time to update current weather?

if I fetch the METAR from ServInfo, I get the new weather, but I have to wait around 20-30 mins to see it in Euroscope.

I tried something to fix this which is to disconnect and reconnect again, it works sometimes, but not always, and painful to do every hour!

is there a fix for that?

David.

David Bayyari - S3

------------------------

VATCAN - CZYZ

VATJO Visitor

972916.jpg

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

This is a consequence of the VATSIM network, there are a number of posts on the forum describing the technical reasons for this but it's just something we take into account, the one good thing is that all controllers on VATSIM world wide are using real world weather as reported via VATSIM.

Sometimes one will get the odd pilot who will say "well my weather says wind 300/30 not 270.10" I always point out that VATSIM is 20/30 mins behind and that we use VATSIM weather, which is real world weather just a little late.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

David Bayyari 972916
Posted
Posted

Wouldn't the case be at around 1215z, I report winds of 270@10 and the pilot reports 300@30, when we both have VATSIM weather? it has happened many times.

my issue is that Euroscope updates weather slower. My ATIS would be as of 1200z, and the pilot would have already received weather as of 1300z, but Euroscope updates at around 1330z for the 1300z weather and become in sync with pilots.

I am not sure if this is a network related issue from my end or not, but SerfInfo and other tools have a delay of at most 10mins, which is the normal delay on VATSIM weather updates, I believe. unless it is something to do with ports maybe.

David.

David Bayyari - S3

------------------------

VATCAN - CZYZ

VATJO Visitor

972916.jpg

Matthew Bucholski 1023183
Posted
Posted

I have observed this too. Sometimes pilots report they have a newer METAR than I do, possibly obtained via the .metar abcd command in their clients.

3712.png

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

The METAR change will probably not be a factor most of the times. We're talking about a slight variation in winds, clouds, etc. Otherwise, if pilot can comply to your instructions for the active runway (able for runway 03?), then go that way.

(example: winds were 330/06 suitable for runway 03 but pillot's new winds are 270/07, more suitable for runway 21. Nevertheless pilot can go for runway 03 safely).

If he cannot, then give him the other runway if traffic permits. Otherwise suggest a hold or indicate that there is traffic (depending on the position you're manning).

Remember:

- pilots know what they can do with their aircraft (hopefully)

- ATC knows what can be done with one pilot regarding the rest of the traffic (hopefull as well)

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Phill Powell 849479
Posted
Posted

Only slightly off topic, so I hope you don't mind.

I've noticed lately that when I connect to Vatsim, my initial metar can take up to 10 minutes to load on my main Euroscope screen on my main PC. I have two other PCs with instances of Euroscope, connected to Vatsim through the main (proxy), and they download the metar straight away.

No idea why this should happen.

On topic, in two and a half years on Euroscope, I have only ever had a pilot question the weather once, and he was using real world weather not Vatsim weather.

Phill

Vatsim network supervisor

VATeud I1/VATeir local examiner.

David Bayyari 972916
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that is the case. sometimes you hope when you work on the standard runway config for light crosswinds or calm winds, that the new weather isn't a tail wind component or are saying in theirs head about how weird it is to have them on this runway with this kind of weather they have which I still don't, it is kind of annoying to be honest.

Thanks Miguel,

David Bayyari - S3

------------------------

VATCAN - CZYZ

VATJO Visitor

972916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

EuroScope asks METAR updates from the server in every 15 minutes. So if you are just unlucky then there may be a 15 minutes delay.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer