You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need help in all areas

Al Jones 1215522

Al Jones 1215522
Posted
Posted

Hello to All,

I've been flying IL2 sim for a few years and I've really enjoyed the experience. I've had a pilots license since 1978 and now I'm going for my IFR, Commercial and CFI ratings. I bought a copy of X Plane 9 thinking that it would be nice to practice IFR procedures here at home to speed up and reduce the costs of obtaining my new ratings. I did some research on the internet and I was very excited when I read about VATSIM. Now this is like the real thing and will get me up to speed on writing down clearances and communication skills along with practicing the IFR flight.

I need help understanding X Plane and also setting up the plugin for going on line with VATSIM. It would be nice if I could get some help via Teamspeak 3. I live in the midwest part of the United States.

system

Asus rampage mobo

2 GTX 470's

6 g of ram

i7 930 intel

Windows 7 64bit

Anyone that has some time that they could use to help me would be great. I will pay it forward in the future.

Thanks,

Al

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM!

btw this is the ASRC section, ASRC is a controller radar client.

i put in a request to have it moved to the correct section just so you can get the correct help

Connor O'Brien 1202523
Posted
Posted

Hi Al,

First off, welcome to vatsim

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/ Go to this website and download the correct file for your system. Unzip the file and take out the .xpl and the Xsquakbox Resources folder. Place those two items in your XP9 folder via X-plane9>resources>plugins. Don't go any deeper than that or it won't work. After that start up x-plane. Bring up the drop down menu bar, plugins, Xsquakbox, connect. Fill out the correct info (which autosaves after the first time), click connect, and there you have it. Connect to the server that is nearest you. They are all connected together, but that cuts down on connection time and what not.

I too have teamspeak3 (also have Skype), so if you need anymore help or have questions just ask here or pm me and we can work that out.

Even though you are a real world pilot I recommend checking out the pilot resource center (vatsim home page, left side) to look up any thing you maybe unsure of. I know I did. The biggest thing is who to contact when an ATC is offline. Example: contact CTR that covers that airspace if everyone below him/her is offline. There is a feature in XSB that allows you to see who's online in a certain nm radius of where you are. Anyway I'm getting off topic .

Again, welcome.

Connor

It really is an addiction

ZJX I1 - Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Supervisor

Louisiana Tech University Professional Aviation Major

Real World Pilot

Al Jones 1215522
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for the info. I'm sure I'll be in touch. I really had no idea where to post my first posting, but I knew someone would see it. Once it's moved then I guess I'll know where to post to from then on out.

Thanks again,

Al