You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FMC Question

Dan Sullivan 1181443

Dan Sullivan 1181443
Posted
Posted

So I have all default or freeware aircraft. I've been thinking about upgrading to a payware because, among other reasons, the FMC's are very enticing. I came across vasFMC, the freeware FMC, and (unsuccesfully) tried to install it. I was directed to NaviGraph, where I was told I could update the Nav aid data. When I went there it wanted me to buy tokens to get the data. So my question is this: If I drop the money on a payware plane, will I also have to frequently buy/update the FMC nav data?

My thinking is oh the plane is only 30$, but consistently updating nav data could add up very fast.

GOG0032.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

yep youll also have to update those.

the good thing tho is navigraph gives you a bunch of credits for your purchase. those credits are what you use to get the updates.

so for example, for $20 you get 100 credits.

each airac update costs 10 credits. you basically get 10 aircac cycles before you have to buy again. mind you, you are buying the airac cycles. you arent paying for each different download for each model you may have. just the cycle.

thats just an example, i cant remember how much it is off the top of my head.

its well worh the money, and it lasts over a year before you have to buy again (again, off the top of my head, i havent been able to update in a loooong while since im broke )

if you even want to update after that, i normally only update when there lots of updates that add new procedures. other then that, i get by on my 1 or 2 year old cycle

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

You'll have to update the navdata, but not frequently. Real airlines need to update every 28 days, however major changes aren't that frequent, and for VATSIM purposes once or twice a year should be fine. So, about 11 dollars a year, or less. Personally I don't update until it 'goes bad', that is procedures change at the airports I visit or on the routes I use.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Todd Knutson 1169549
Posted
Posted

If you get an add on plane the AIRAC may or may not be fairly recent. My PMDG 737ngx was current when it was released in August when I bought it. The FMC will notify you when the cycle is out of date (q 28 days) however you can still fly in the sim world and the FMC will still function. I have not updated it yet and have only found one waypoint that has changed.

When I bought the Feel There ERJ145 I think the AIRAC was around three years old. Updating with Navigraph was a must do with that one.

Overall I've been satisfied with Navigraph. One thing to note is that credits expire. I think they are good for one year. Navigraph just sent me an e-mail that my credits are about to expire and that I should use them which I appreciated.

Download with them was easy. The only personal trouble I had was with my credit card company. I had to phone customer service at my card company and let them know the charge was ok!

Todd

Flying is easy. Landing is the trick.