You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ILL TRK

Gene Cao 1100087

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Tracking aircraft already airborne.

What am I doing wrong in terms of user interface. Every time I try to track airborne aircraft, or [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a squawk, it says ILL TRK

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The most likely possibility is that the track is not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated, which means it is not squawking its [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code. Or it may not have a flight plan at all.

Other possibilities are that the track is not squawking normal, or it is owned by another controller.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

So how do you get a track on an aircraft already airborne. They are squawking 2200 with code 0000 [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned. I had no way of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning a squawk code to an aircraft as using +SLEW gives me the same ILL TRK problem.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted
So how do you get a track on an aircraft already airborne. They are squawking 2200 with code 0000 [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned. I had no way of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning a squawk code to an aircraft as using +SLEW gives me the same ILL TRK problem.

The track, or aircraft, must be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated to a flightplan. You cannot randomly [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a squawk code by slewing the target. You must know the aircraft's callsign, and either call up the flightplan window and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a squawk there, or use the keyboard entry.

(CALLSIGN)(BEACONCODE)

Give that a shot.

nmvx9d-2.png

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Great, thank you. Never used STARS before haha. But I see now, When you click on a target for the quicklook for 5 secs. It either shows u the code they are squawkin, or the callsign if no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code. Awesome.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Great, thank you. Never used STARS before haha. But I see now, When you click on a target for the quicklook for 5 secs. It either shows u the code they are squawkin, or the callsign if no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code. Awesome.

If there's no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code, you shouldn't be able to see the callsign. A track is only considered [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated if it is squawking its [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code, and thus if there is no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code, it cannot be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated, in which case you cannot see a full data block with the callsign. Please let me know if you are able to see callsigns for aircraft with no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code, as that would be a bug. (The exception would be aircraft that are being tracked by a non-vSTARS user ... this exception is necessary to make handoffs between vSTARS and VRC (for example) work properly without causing lots of headaches at a very inconvenient time.)

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I guess I did not know what I was looking at. So guys that are squawking [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code untracked, when clicking will show a full data block. Guys that are squawking a code that is not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned are showing only the code they are on currently. So my question is how if you have a bunch of a/c coming in from uncontrolled squawking 2200, no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk, how to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign them a new code. Since you cant see their data block.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
So my question is how if you have a bunch of a/c coming in from uncontrolled squawking 2200, no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk, how to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign them a new code. Since you cant see their data block.

Use the method Andrew provided above, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign them a new code using the keyboard and their callsign.

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Any way to give a random squawk? Or does it have to be specific? Usually this wouldnt happen RW I guess.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Normally rw doesn't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a squawk by entering it, we just enter their callsign, space, aircraft ICAO (if known, padding with *'s at the end until it is 4 characters long) and hitting enter then [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the code displayed on the display.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Normally rw doesn't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a squawk by entering it, we just enter their callsign, space, aircraft ICAO (if known, padding with *'s at the end until it is 4 characters long) and hitting enter then [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the code displayed on the display.

Daniel is referring to entering an abbreviated flight plan, here. That's for things like popup IFR or VFR targets requesting flight following.

In the case of an IFR aircraft coming towards your airspace, currently in uncontrolled airspace, you use the syntax Andrew mentioned, but just leave off the space and beacon code:

callsign

It'll show you the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk in the readout area.

I'll get this added to the command reference, and maybe add a section to the Controller's Guide on working with un[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated tracks.