You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How do I know the right runway???

Guilherme Luis 1202890

Guilherme Luis 1202890
Posted
Posted

Hi everybody, I´m new to Vatsim and although I´ve been 'studying' for almost a week on how to make all the correct stuff to fly in Vatsim, when I request taxi to Runway and the controller gives me a a runway I do not know how to get there and which one is the right one. This happened to me in Gatwick, I kinda got confused, I did not what do to. Help would be aprecciated. Thanks!

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Charts!

aircharts.org

It's important to have the appropriate charts for every flight!

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Guilherme Luis 1202890
Posted
Posted

Thanks !

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Thank you for wanting to learn

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

A clue though as a general rule to help you out, runway numbers are linked to the direction they point. If you are told runway 18, the runway direction is going to be 180 +/-5 degrees so if you're at an airport with just one runway, you want to taxi to the end such that, when you are lined up, you're facing south.

If you've got 18L, 18C and 18R, these letters stand for Left, Centre and Right. If you're looking at the runways on a southerly heading, the one on the left would be 18L, the one in the middle 18C and the one on the right 18R.

So at Gatwick it looks like you have two runways but actually 08L/26R is just a taxiway now so the only runway is 26L/08R. Last time I checked runway 26L had a heading of 262 (so westerly) so you need to taxi to the end of the runway that is nearest to the South Terminal to line up on it. If it's 08R you need to go all the way down to the other end.

These are just guidelines, where possible it's definitely best to have the correct charts and just follow them. Hope this helps.

Thomas George

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Olá Luis,

Vejo que é português. Sugiro que consulte o nosso site de treino http://ptd.portugal.vacc.org que o pode ajudar numa data de coisas.

Sugiro ainda a consulta do nosso site Portugal vACC em http://www.portugal-vacc.org onde tem informações diversas e acesso ao nosso Teamspeak onde pode falar em "off" e esclarecer quaisquer dúvidas.

Bemvindo!

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Guilherme Luis 1202890
Posted
Posted

Thank you everybody, I will take in mind your advices