You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Midwest Fury Aftermath

Mark Zameda 810257

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

Well, Friday the 13th was definitely not kind to us, from battling a cold on my part, to our webserver taking a hike to the south for the event, to VATSIM server burps, and finally most of our controllers not being able to keep ASRC open without crashing on us for some unkown reason. That being said, it was great to see so many people show up for the flyin! This is definitely something we will have to do again.

As promised, here are the final results of the Poker run. Thank you to all who attended!

J=Jack Q=Queen K=King A=Ace S=Spades D=Diamonds C=Clubs H=Hearts

Callsign Cards Hand Strength

AAL200 KS 4C JS 6C QS King high

AAL271 5S 7S KS 7C 6D Pair 7

AAL328 2D 8H 2H AC 9D Pair 2

AMT1588 3H KC 3C AH 8C pair 3

COA611 5C 10H QD 5S 2S pair 5

COA318 JH 2S 7H JH 3C pair J

COA421 10S 2S 2H 4D 4S 2 pair 4 2

COA635 QD AC AH QC JD 2 pair A Q

COA863 KS JC KC 2H AD Pair K

FFT1 8D AC 4S 4C 10C pair A

GWA4100 7C QH KH 7S 9S pair 7

N138DC 8C 9C 8S 6H JS pair 8

N143VF JD 9H 5S 8D 10H Jack high

N217AF AH 5C 3H 7S KD Ace High

N234EF JS 6S 7C 6D 9H pair 6

N6014L KD 4C AD AS 3H Pair A

N969TW 2C 10S 4H 2D JS Pair 2

NRLT JH QD 4H JS 7D Pair J

NP51W JD 8D JC 8C 9C 2 pair J 8

OPT565 9H 6H 4H 5D 3S 9 high

SWA4765 10S KH QS KS QD pair K

UAL896 8C 6D 8C 9D 10S Pair 8

USA1544 7H 10C 5C 10D 5H pair 10

WJT315 QH 8S AH 6S 6C Ace high

WW6581 AS 6D KS KH 4D pair K

And the winner is Nathan Sleyster, pilot of COA635! Nathan wins the download of his choice from www.flight1.com, a leader of flight simulation addon payware!

I want to personally thank all the pilots who attended, it was a pleasure to be online for you guys, and despite all the problems we had, it was a great time! I have a feeling we will be doing this again!

I especially want to thank Tracy Salas, vZAU's Events Director, for all his legwork in seeing this event through. I didn't think it was possible, but we staffed FIVE ARTCC's fully for this event! Thank you very much Tracy, for all your hard work in getting this event off the ground!

I wish I could have given all of you your cards at the very end, unfortunately my ASRC program dumped me to windows and would not let me hold a connection to the network, so I hope that my messages to the other controllers got to you to read this forum post. Have a great night, and we'll see you online!

Mark Zameda

POKER_CTR

vZAU ATM

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Adam Wade 931068
Posted
Posted

Mark,

Thanks for the great event! Could it have gone smoother? Maybe, but the controllers did an excellent job of handling it and I know I had a great time! I hope to see something like this again soon.

Adam Wade KPDX

N234EF = pair o' six's

Adam Wade

ZSE_AW

Mathew League 944119
Posted
Posted

Mark,

I want to second the remark that all controllers did a hell of a good job, despite the hick-ups. Anyway, thanks for putting on the event.

Also, I want my Joker

944119.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

I sure had a great time as UAL896

Departed some 13 hours earlier from Hong Kong (during their flyin lol) and landed at Chicago direct into the flyin. Great ATC and it's always nice when there's multiple Centres and approach controllers for the same port.

Got down on 9R and then turned around into a 733(PIC733) for the hop over to Cleveland.

Some great flights, and I think it's time to go to bed now :p

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted

Good job Chicago, great event and congrats 635!

1000.png

Nathan Sleyster 878239
Posted
Posted

Great job to all the ARTCC's! Fun event!

Nathan Sleyster

ZSE ATM and I1

1798.png

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

It was a lot of fun, but 2.5 hours was a bit short for a poker run. Hopefully you can make it last a bit longer next time and allow for more legs. With congestion 2.5 hours only allowed for one leg and a partial second leg. I know several who never got thier final card, but again, was fun anyway!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

Given a choice, I would have stayed online quite a bit longer. For some reason a bunch of controllers, including myself, could not hold a connection on the network for longer than 20 seconds. We kept getting dumped immediately back to Windows and ASRC would close. It was the wierdest thing, but after a half hour of trying to fix the problem, most of the pilots were unreachable via the .contactme message, so I asked the ATC still online to send something out so you guys could check the forums.

I do apologize for the short length of the event, it was a blast and next time we'll do one that has much shorter legs!

Mark Zameda

vZAU ATM

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Mark,

Did you try reducing visibility and removing your dep/app lists? That's standard practice once the sky gets really busy, and seems to solve a lot of the disconnect/crash issues.

Keith

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Like Keith said, reducing your range is the best work around for that bug. It has to do with the number of aircraft visible at one time. There seems to be a threshold above which ASRC crashes. Reducing your range obviously reduces the number of aircraft visible at one time. We've run into this at nearly every large event we've held at Boston. Sometimes I wonder if Mike (ASRC author) is in cahoots with the VATSIM technology team and implemented this "bug" on purpose as a way of keeping our ranges set to reasonable level in order to save bandwidth.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

LOL that's probably what it was, I had to keep my range around 600 to see all the airports, however I lowered all my altitude settings so that I could see the ground. I have no idea if that helped or hurt things.

Mark Z

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

I never had the problem with ASRC just closing, however my voice did quit working. ASRC started acting crazy and I was recieving messages from England.

Andrew Miller