You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is your voice mic level set too high?

Antonio Palmieri

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Hi.

I am noticing that often I find it hard to understand what some people say over the frequency because their microphone level is set too high. Of course it may also be possible that suddenly my hearing is getting worse Or perhaps both are true!

It sounds to me like the microphone is too close to the mouth while the input level is set too high. The result is a distorted voice, usually giving me instructions that I would love to understand the first time round so I can show off that I actually understood their meaning! Instead I have to resort to a boring "say again" and perhaps adding that their voice is distorted.

Is this what some people refer to as "overmodulation"?

Can we have a vatsim campaign for "clear voice" ? (I'm only half serious!)

Anyone else ever noticed this problem?

Antonio

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

their is a third one as well that also causes it, the user receiving the voice comms has their volume sliders too high, this would also cause it, not on the user transmitting end, but on the receiver end.

for squawkbox and FSINN users, especially FSINN users since they have extra volume sliders to help adjust the sound output, dont recommend maxing out the volume sliders, play around with the levels until you get the desired result.

their may also be times where you will have to adjust the sliders midflight to help the audio output.

ive noticed this a lot in some areas, normally all i have to do is adjust my sliders and the sound is perfect again.

maybe auto-leveling sliders for the future clients?

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Hi Ernesto.

Yes thank you for pointing it out - the volume on the receiving end can sometimes be the problem indeed. In fact I have played with that a bit, in FSInn.

If I had the playback volume set too high I should hear a distorted sound for most communications. Instead what happens is that I hear a lot of people very very well. Near perfect. Then the odd controller supermodulated. Which leads me to think it is not my playback level but rather their input mic.

Makes any sense?